Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: hero 8 freezes while taking video

when we find what causes the issues let us know, s we all learn  not what to do in the future?  

Fish

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for your reply.

I will try a “recommended” card.

Highlighted
Tourist

I've had this issue on a recent ski trip - video freezes and audio continues.  Very frustrating!!

My card is approved: Samsung Evo Plus (UHS-1 U3) 128GB - [MB-MC128GA/EU]

I wonder if it's a combination of low battery (30%) with cold weather (it was very cold and my Hero8 was helmet mounted).

Regardless of why, I would expect the H8 to stop recording and inform me if there was a problem - not just carry on as an expensive audio recorder.  Some great video was lost due to this - and not what I expect from what is considered the best camera on the market.

Note,  I had this issue multiple times, both with the supplied GoPro battery and some 3rd party batteries (Enegon)

GoPro - please explain yourselves....!  

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes, that's exactly what I experienced. Very frustrating.

In my case the battery was nearly fully charged, it was fairly cold but a few degrees above freezing, GoPro original battery.

My card is the 64GB version of an approved 128GB card.

It happened twice for me. I have now bought the fastest approved card I could find but haven't used the camera since.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

We have some tips at https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Camera-Freezes-Up that should help. If they don't, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can do some additional troubleshooting with you.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for your reply but it doesn’t help resolve my issue unless the card is the problem.

The camera doesn’t freeze, it remains responsive to commands and carries on recording audio.

The issue is that the video image stops updating during video recording and so you end up with a minute or so of normal moving video with audio to the point where the video image stops and records a still image that remains for the rest of the video but with  audio recording normally.

I have yet to try with my new fast card.

Highlighted
Tourist

Same here.  The camera is responsive and it's only the video that stops. 

I'm using an approved card, and applied a SW update when I received the camera early December. 

Looking at the forums, this seems like a common problem that GoPro should address (on Hero7 and earlier it seems).  I know that low batteries, cold/hot weather can cause problems for electronics - so what us Users need is the GoPro to tell us when it's having problems, and not just give us a false sense that everything is working properly until it's too late (i.e. you're at home with a corrupted video...)

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

If you can, please try using a different card that's on our list at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308 just to see if we can isolate the issue to the card or to the camera.