Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: hero 8 freezes while taking video

My replacement Hero8 is on it's way back to me.  I'll be skiiing mid Feb so will see if it solves the problem.  If it doesn't, I guess i'll have to get a refund.

The return process has been good, and the GoPro customer support were helpful. They are confident it is an issue with the camera so I hope they are correct.  I don't ski at 100km/h (perhaps when I'm crashing!) so my level of "action" for this world-famous action camera should be well within the specifications....!

Highlighted
Sightseer

might be an idea for GoPro to send a Hero 8 into a wind tunnel at tempereatures of -5 deg Celcisu and under and then have the wind blow around it at speeds of up to 120km/h to see what happens. I am definitley sure the low temperatures are an issue.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the exact same issue on my Hero 7 Black.

I only experience it when driving my snowmobile in the cold, and of course the speed wind factor chills it even more. 

I get maybe 10-15 seconds of video, then the video freezes but it still records audio. And once that happens all 4Gb files are the same, with the same frozen image, so it could be 30 minutes of frozen video.

I have tried in my house to record, no issues.

I have tried recording with the camera static outside, no issues.

But when combining cold weather and speed chill factor, frozen video.

I was hoping that Hero 8 wouldn't have the same issue, then I would have upgraded. But disappointed to read the the problem still exists.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @johane374

Please refer to Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures

You may also reach out to our Support Team for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

Did you get a chance to test the replacement in cold weather yet?

I have the exact same "freeze on one frame, but audio works" issue, although mine happens at room temperatures. My SD card isn't listed as tested, but it's a 64 GB version of Samsung's approved 128 GB card, and I'm only recording at 2.7K, 30 FPS, standard bitrate. So far it hasn't frozen up with 4K, only 2.7K and with hypersmooth on. I was using it as a dash cam, and a couple of seconds before freezing I saw hypersmooth do a huge jerk to the left for no apparent reason. Very odd. I'm wondering if I should sent it back.

Overall I'm not pleased. Loop function is unusable due to chaptering. The back screen has cracked for no reason. There are no scratches or anything to suggest something hit it. Only a clean crack from left to top, just what you get when glass under tension breaks for no reason.

Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your camera, @tonip5214. With the issues you shared, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team so they can troubleshoot the issue further with you. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request.  Be sure to have access to your camera at the time of contact so you can get assisted as quickly as possible.