Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

hero 8 freezes while taking video

I have had a Hero 8 for less than a month. Most of the time it's been fine but in 2 out of 8 uses, the camera has recorded files that freeze less than a minute into the video recording. I end up with a video that starts okay but freezes on a frame, the rest of the recording is then only of this fixed frame.

It happened on a 12 minute video last week, freezing on a frame after about a minute. It happened again yesterday on a 45 minute video, the video freezing on a frame after 49 seconds, the rest of the video saved in 5 files is all of the same frame - useless and frustrating.

In between I have one video of 7 minutes long that worked fine taken the day before.

All with the same settings. The camera is on the latest firmware (v1.50).

Has this been noted before and are there any suggestions? I use the videos in my business and I can't afford any more lost footage.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: hero 8 freezes while taking video

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your camera, @tonip5214. With the issues you shared, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team so they can troubleshoot the issue further with you. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request.  Be sure to have access to your camera at the time of contact so you can get assisted as quickly as possible. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

SOunds like you need to  check the card,  follow some steps to get the card at operating  it at 100%?

Highlighted
Hiker

I use a 64GB Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC UHSI Card and it's reformatted every time after ofloading files.

I used the same card in the Hero7 without issues.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Thank you for  offering the  info of the card.    As you  simply cleared the card, correct with a quick format. did you at least do thi before you placed int hte Hero 8 , if not May I suggest a Full format? with unchecking the box, then a quick format if you like as well one in the camera. I agree doing that  in the cam each time is  excellent  advice you're doing,

Full format.png

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I usually format in camera. I will format from my Mac in exFAT before trying again.

I did use the Hero 8 with this card for two weeks without issues experimenting with formats, etc.

I settled on always recording at 4K, 60fps & wide view with hypersmooth on - Maybe this makes it less reliable?

Highlighted
Adventurer

thank you for answering,  not a Mac User i do own  one or two.  see ifit clears upwhen formatted.

Fish

Highlighted
Hiker

I don't think it's an issue with the card.

The camera is writing full 4GB files to card.

The sound is okay, it's just the video image that stops on one frame, the sound contiunes on as you would expect for the full video.

Highlighted
Hiker

"64GB Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC UHSI"

I don't see that card listed on the recommended cards to use with the Hero 8. Unless I just missed it. That doesn't mean it WON'T work, it probably just means it hasn't been tested to see how compatible it is.

Remember the Hero 8 has higher performance specs than the Hero 7. I wouldn't assume cards that worked with earlier models will work just as well with the Hero 8. Something to keep in mind.

You can see the list of recommended cards for the 8 here at GoPro.com.  (If the link doesn't work just look in the Help articles)

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308