Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

hero 8 black resolution and hypersmooth

Hi,

I ordered a GoPro last week so i got it yesterday. I filmed with it 2 times and I'm not very sure if my camera is working well. The Resolution of the GoPro video on my PC is very very bad for FullHD and the frame is really shaky. Is there a defect on my camera or did I select a wrong option? Can you help me with this because this is my first gopro and I wondered why the footage of others on the hero 8 look so smooth and high resolated and mine is so bad? I filmed some scened while I was driving with my bicycle. watch...

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: hero 8 black resolution and hypersmooth

The resolution looks ok, but some things to note.

You're not using an ND filter, so you're note getting a smooth motion blur look.  You're also shooting in some pretty dull conditions.  You need to up the frame rate, shooting at 30FPS may introduce a bit of blur.  Finally hypersmooth is going to work best when you're moving fast, like, very fast.  When you're going slow there's actually more work that hypersmooth has to do, so there's going to be some bumps and dips it can't totally compensate for.  It's like hitting a small bump in the road at 60mph, you're barely going to feel it, but drive over it at 2mph, then suddenly you're pitching all the way up, all the way down and then leveling out.  That's a huge amount of movement to have to compensate for.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

The resolution looks ok, but some things to note.

You're not using an ND filter, so you're note getting a smooth motion blur look.  You're also shooting in some pretty dull conditions.  You need to up the frame rate, shooting at 30FPS may introduce a bit of blur.  Finally hypersmooth is going to work best when you're moving fast, like, very fast.  When you're going slow there's actually more work that hypersmooth has to do, so there's going to be some bumps and dips it can't totally compensate for.  It's like hitting a small bump in the road at 60mph, you're barely going to feel it, but drive over it at 2mph, then suddenly you're pitching all the way up, all the way down and then leveling out.  That's a huge amount of movement to have to compensate for.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hallo,

Erstmals danke für deine Hilfe und für die schnelle antwort. Ich werde deine ratschläge befolgen und es morgen nochmals versuchen..dennoch finde ich die auflösung ( wenn man im vollbildmodus schaut) für full hd wirklich schlecht, aber wenn du sagst es liegt an den einstellungen werde ich andere versuchen. Auf jedem fall werde ich nochmal einen beitrag posten mit hoffentlich besseren aufnahmen.
Kann es sein, dass es einen trick gibt, videos von der gopro auf pc zu ziehen? Denn mir kommt vor auf meinem handy (gopro app) sieht die auflösung perfekt aus und auch auf der kamera...nur wenn ich die videos auf dem computer ansehe sind sie in sehr schlechter qualität und ich weiß nicht woran es liegt, da ich eigentlich einen sehr starken computer habe, der auf neuestem stand ist( intel I7/win10/16gb ram/8gb grafikspeicher/ monitor: asus rog 144hz 2,7K)
Was könnte ich da machen?
Highlighted
Nomad

When you play back the files on the camera, you're actually playing back a different file called an LRV (low resolution video).  This is actually far worse quality.  It only looks good because you're viewing it on a tiny tiny screen.  

I didn't notice any issues with the resolution of your video, what I did notice was that there was some blur caused by the stabilization (this is due to the dull ight and low refresh rate) and don't forget, youtube compresses your video and removes a lot of quality.  So you need to make sure when you're editing the video you're exporting it with a high bitrate to compensate.  

I'm not sure what your'e using to edit your video, but if it's your mobile app, this could result in a lower quality video (as it compresses the video when exporting and then youtube compresses it again).  I use Premier Pro on my laptop when exporting video but I find I cant use the presets for export (such as "video for youtube" as this will result in terrible quality), instead I have to manually set up my export settings and aim for a bitrate of about 20.

Highlighted
Nomad

Oh and I just played back your video full screen, it looks blurry and shakey, but as I stated, that's from the low light/dull day with EIS and the low frame rate.  You need to record in at least 2.7K @ 60FPS, probably max the ISO at 400 and try hypersmooth at different settings (off, low, high, boost) to see which gives you the best result.