Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: hero 8 Timelapse

@irishmanpdx wrote:

The GoPro 8 is not the same as the GoPro Hero 3 power wise.

The GoPro Hero 3 would run on external power with the internal battery inserted.

The GoPro Hero 8 will only use the internal battery when an external power source is attached.  What this means is that when you shoot with an external power source attached, the camera will only use the internal battery until that battery runs flat, at which point the camera will stop recording, power off and then the battery will start to recharge using the power supply. 

This is why if you're shooting for an extended period of time you need to remove the GoPro's internal battery first.  Otherwise your camera will power off once the internal battery is discharged.

Well, thats interesting.  I have NEVER run my GoPro 8 Black, on External power, with the internal battery removed.  

I made an hour drive the other day.  I had my 8, mounted on the windshield.  I had the internal battery still inside and an external power supply plugged into the USB C port.  When I mounted my battery, it was at 60%.  I plugged it into power with the internal battery still in.  I started filming time lapse and the charge indicator went off.  The camera continued to film for over an hour.  When I arrived, I stopped filming.  The internal battery charge indicator on the screen showed 60%, after filming for an hour.  I left it plugged in and when I got back in my truck, the internal battery was now showing 95% after being on charge for a bit.  I drove another hour filming all the way.  When I arrived at my second destination, I stopped filming and my internal battery charge was showing 95% still.  Short Stop, and I started filming again, and drove home.  When  I arrived home, I stopped filming and my internal battery indicator was still showing 95%.

Do  you want a video of the screen of my GoPro 8?  The only thing that I even MENTIONED my 3 was that I had tested it years ago, using a external battery pack and ran it non-stop for over 8 hours, stopping in the middle of filming and reformatting my sd card and starting over as a simple demonstration of the size of the battery pack. 

So.  Why is this so hard for you to understand.  I do NOT have to remove my internal battery when I am running it off an external power source.  I have the Ulanzi G8-7 battery compartment door.  I mount my camera on my windshield.  I plug my USB-C cable into my camera from a power plug in my truck never removing my internal battery.  I run all day long, and the internal battery never gets used.  My internal battery does not charge, but it is not used or drained.  IF I remove the USB-C cable while filming, the camera continues to film with the internal battery taking the load.  

Let me know if you need a video.  I'll be more than happy to provide one.  I have no idea why you have to remove yours, but I do not have to remove mine.  

Highlighted
Nomad

From the GoPro Hero 8 Manual, page 105:

"RECORDING WHEN PLUGGED INTO A POWER SOURCE
You can use the USB-C cable that came with your HERO8 Black to shoot
videos and photos while your camera is plugged in to a USB-charging
adapter, the GoPro Supercharger, another GoPro charger, or the
GoPro Portable Power Pack. This is perfect for capturing long videos
and time lapse events.
Even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during
recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot
record while your camera is plugged into a computer. *
Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof
when charging."

Highlighting done by me.  

Highlighted
Nomad

Well, thats interesting.  I have NEVER run my GoPro 8 Black, on External power, with the internal battery removed.  

I do it all the time, I find it's a great way to film without an overheating issue or a power interuption issue, also having a windscreen full of cables seems like a safe idea....

Do  you want a video of the screen of my GoPro 8? 

No, I only ask to see video footage from people having issues with their camera, offers of video footage from random people off the internet is just weird man....  unless you're not a man... in which case...... sounds like a great idea to me!

So.  Why is this so hard for you to understand. 

It's not hard for me at all to understand, your system is allowing you to keep your battery inserted and giving priority to the external power supply over the battery therefor not causing power consumption of the battery or charging it.  Honestly, not that hard to grasp.  All I'm doing is quoting said observed conditions as well as quoting several GoPro Reps who have dealt with other people's power issues and have all said the same thing.  I'd actually send you video footage of my GoPro Hero 8 screen....but ya know.. I just don't wanna be that guy....

I do NOT have to remove my internal battery when I am running it off an external power source. 

No one said that you did, there is not "internal battery police" waiting to come knock down your door and arrest you.  Although from the way the government wastes money I'm surprised there's NOT a battery police department....  I'll talk more about this later but I have to answer the door, someone's knocking at it...

I have the Ulanzi G8-7 battery compartment door.

I have banana bread for lunch.

I mount my camera on my windshield.

I got a huge ass selfie pole for free for review, it's made from carbon fiber.  I think it will be awesome with a 360 camera, but honestly, it's a bit crap in the contruction quality side of things, I will not be recommending it.  I mean, if anything I was honestly disappointed by the whole thing, it did everything right until just one point of failure.  

I plug my USB-C cable into my camera from a power plug in my truck never removing my internal battery.

My banana bread has chocolate chips and blueberries in it.

I run all day long, and the internal battery never gets used. 

Well.......  you drive..... let's hold off on the "running" bit until we agree on the definition (ok, that joke was below me....  I do apologize.....Making jokes like that is just wrong, ya know, saying things like "yo momma so fat, she jumped in the air and got stuck"... I mean, I'll try to keep this mature as possible...... for me....   her high school photo was taken with google earth...... oh god i'm sorry, that just slipped out....    when she's at the beach people run up to her and try to get her back in the ocean...   oh man I have GOT to stop...... I'm so so sorry....)

My internal battery does not charge, but it is not used or drained

Ok..... here's the deal......  I've phoned The President with this information, I've told him to hold a press conference and award you a medal based on what you said.....  turns out he wasn't interested...   I'm so sorry man, but I tried my best.

IF I remove the USB-C cable while filming, the camera continues to film with the internal battery taking the load.  

I bet it takes the load.......... HIGH FIVE...........   what???  Don't leave me hanging dude....  also, don't do that while you're driving....  you'll go blind and be in a crash...

Let me know if you need a video. 

Honestly, it's probably a bad idea, god only knows what I'd do with it, edit the video track and audio.... probably best not send it....

I'll be more than happy to provide one. 

Just one?????    Hey man, you are nowhere near as generous as you make out to be!

I have no idea why you have to remove yours,

Seriously?  After everything I wrote you cannot figure that out?  

but I do not have to remove mine.  

I tried the White House again, they just keep hanging up now........     What's a "restraining order" anyway?

OK in all fairness dude, I'm just having a cheap laugh with the above because it's been a stressful week and I needed a bit of cheering up.  Your GoPro isn't following what myself and other people have observed as the norm.  I would be interested in trying to replicate what you're saying though, so hey if you can, share the details on the power supply you're using for the camera in your truck.  I doubt the door or USB-C cable would have an impact on this.

Highlighted
Nomad

ok..  I apoligize for coming here and trying to help other people with problems with their camera.  Forgive me for trying not to be as superior as some of the people here are.  

This group is just about as bad as the DJI forum when I first started on there until I managed to prove that I actually knew what I was talking about.  

Not to worry.  I will NOT be coming back to this forum.  I won't be bothering you any more.  

Ya'll have a wonderful time.  

Highlighted
Nomad

Bit of a dramatic exit....  

No sense of humor then?

Highlighted
Adventurer

EPIC!

Highlighted
Nomad

I dunno........... I kinda miss him now........  sitting here, thinking about all the fun times we shared together....

I wish he'd come back...

Smiley Sad