Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

hero 8 Timelapse

Hi,

I have recently bought a hero 8 and I am just running some tests on it so that when I am out and about I know my best settings

I am trying to do a timelapse but it just stops for no reason during the period that I want to capture.

I have the gopro on a tripod, 256gb sd card, and external power plugged in when I come back to it it has just stopped. 

Still battery remaining (power is plugged in also) and it has not used much memory on the sd card, what is going on? am I doing something wrong and what are the best practices for setting up a timelapse? 

All suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: hero 8 Timelapse

Hi @sweetalp81704

May I know the SD card brand and model you're using?

Please make sure to use recommended SD card brand: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, 

Sandisk Ultra, I always use sandisk ultra or extreme.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sweetalp81704,

Please avoid using SanDisk ULTRA since there's a lot of users reporting that ULTRA doesn't work properly with GoPro cameras. 

It's not listed as a recommended SD card. 

Try to install new camera firmware manually using the SanDisk Extreme then those problem with your camera should be fixed.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

-Jay

Highlighted
Nomad

Have you updated your firmware?  Check Preferences > About > Camera Info and see what version Firmware you are running.  I believe the latest is v1.6

Highlighted
Nomad

Your GoPro will not charge with an external power supply plugged in and it will run off the battery only.  So what will happen is that you start a timelapse, your GoPro uses the battery and when it runs flat the camera will shut down.  When it shuts down the battery will start charging again.

So if you are doing a timelapse that requires an external power source, remove the internal battery first!

Highlighted
Nomad

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Your GoPro will not charge with an external power supply plugged in and it will run off the battery only.  So what will happen is that you start a timelapse, your GoPro uses the battery and when it runs flat the camera will shut down.  When it shuts down the battery will start charging again.

So if you are doing a timelapse that requires an external power source, remove the internal battery first!

On mine, my 8 will charge from External power.  When I start filming while plugged in on external power, the internal battery doesn't charge.  Usually not worried about that since most of the time, my external power is a power plug on my truck.  When I do use a external battery pack, it's large enough that it will run for hours.  (when tested my external on my old 3 Black, I got 8 hours non-stop recording, formatting and recording again.) 

If I am filming on external power and disconnect the power connection, the camera seamlessly switches back to internal power.  But connecting the external back up, or changing to another external source, the camera won't switch back over to the external.  It remains running off the internal.  (At least for a while.  I haven't tested it over a long period of time)

I use mine mostly as a dash cam, plugged into power from my truck.  I leave the battery in it all the time and have had no problems at all. 

So my question is, why bother to remove the internal battery?

Highlighted
Nomad

The GoPro 8 is not the same as the GoPro Hero 3 power wise.

The GoPro Hero 3 would run on external power with the internal battery inserted.

The GoPro Hero 8 will only use the internal battery when an external power source is attached.  What this means is that when you shoot with an external power source attached, the camera will only use the internal battery until that battery runs flat, at which point the camera will stop recording, power off and then the battery will start to recharge using the power supply. 

This is why if you're shooting for an extended period of time you need to remove the GoPro's internal battery first.  Otherwise your camera will power off once the internal battery is discharged.