Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

hero 7 cannot find files

[ New ]

What a nightmare! Watched my recent dive videos on new HERO7 past week. Want to create a movie but now those same videos are not showing on my GoPro, nor visible with SD card reader, nor visible with cable connecting GoPro to laptop. I can see the old dive videos and test video shot today. Noticed the test video was dated January 2016, so reset my date. Then discovered I did not have latest software update 1.90 and fixed that. Thought might be an issue with HEVC files since my laptop is still Windows 8.0, so I borrowed a neighbor's laptop with Windows 10 and all the HEVC and HEIF updates. Same results as with my laptop. Have reset my battery, etc. 

Help! This sucks as I never had these issues with my Hero 5.

I'm ready to go back to my old Hero 5 which was reliable

GoPro

Re: hero 7 cannot find files

[ New ]

Hello, @kurs. May we know which SD card is used in your camera? The brand name, type, and capacity will be helpful.

What do you get on the camera instead of a photo or video? Is there any error notification? 

Try inserting the SD card directly to the computer through an SD card adapter. Does the computer detect the SD card? Does it recognize the files?

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro camera does not report any errors, I have successfuly shot some test videos post this issue. 

SD card not the issue as I know myGoPro shot movies during my dive because the files skip numbers from 010181 (earlier dive) to 010207 (test videos).

SD card is both read by card reader and through the GoPro cable. 

The recent videos were dated January 1, 2016, until I updated GoPro to v1.90 and new files have the current date

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you, @kurs. But, specifically, which files are you missing? Are there files that are supposed to be on the SD card that you are not able to view through the camera? 

Sorry, I got confused here: Watched my recent dive videos on new HERO7 past week. Want to create a movie but now those same videos are not showing on my GoPro, nor visible with SD card reader, nor visible with cable connecting GoPro to laptop. I can see the old dive videos and test video shot today.

Do you mean there was a time that the videos were not viewable but they are now?

Hiker

[ New ]
I cannot view the files from the gap in any method, neither GoPro nor PC. Shooting new video demonstrated the GoPro is numbering the videos to Trent old videos are there
Hiker

[ New ]
Having similar issue with my new SD card and most recent video are dated 1-1-2016. However with the new SD card I can see all videos, old and recent from both GoPro camera and my PC
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @kurs. Have you been able to format the SD cards prior to using them in the camera again? See if it would make a difference. Let us know how it goes. 

Hiker

[ New ]
I am definitely not reformating my SD card! I'm trying to recover files from the card, not erase them. Pls have your Manager contact me to discuss a more practical sometime. Thanks