Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: hero 7 black randomly shuts off

Replaced camera, bought two recomended SD cards from different brands, formatted them in the camera prior to using, tried every other solution mentioned after scouring the internet for the last 6 weeks, and still experiencing random shut downs.  $400 cameras should work better than that.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hey -- I'm having similar problem.  I just purhcased a Hero 7 Black.

Recording a show, cool room, proper memory card.  It recorded 1.25 hrs fine.  I stopped it (via WiFi and Android app).  Started it 15 minutes later then it shut off by itself part way through.

Second show -- recorded Act 1 fine.  As soon as I pressed "stop" the camera powered off.  Powered on and hit record and it stayed on for Act 2 -- right after pressing "stop" it powered off again.  (note: auto-power-off is set to "NEVER" in the menus).  

My memory cards are SanDisk Extreme V30 U3, and I'm only recording 1080p, Linear Protune On.

Are you saying you received a 2nd (different) replacement camera and are still having identical problems?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @robr7021. How do you power the camera on - do you press on the shutter button right away while the camera is off? How the camera behaves in the description (second show) you provided appears like the QuikCapture function is activated. See if this is the case by checking if the rabbit icon is highlighted. 

The SD card that you are using is among the recommended ones so we are good with it. Let us know what you find out with the above. If the issue persists, let's try testing again but only after formatting the card and performing a manual update on the camera. Please see below for instructions: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Do not forget to save your files first prior to formatting the card. We hope to hear back from you. Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Not quick capture.  I use the power button on the side of the camera to turn it on and off, the top "record" button to start recording, and the GoPro App on my phone to stop recording (or the top button on the camera).

I'd like someone to explain why your first course of troubleshooting is always "reformat the card and reflash the firmware".  Could you do this with a technical explaination and not just "it somehow fixes problems"?

Firmware is firmware.  It's software on a chip which retains its contents when powered down.  Unless the cameras have faulty built-in memory which self-corrupts, re-installing identical firmware onto the device shouldn't as I see it change a thing.  I'd love to hear why tech support believes this helps, and how (technically) it would make a difference.

Highlighted
Hiker

The replacement has not seen a lot of the "quirkyness" of the original.  Before replacing, it would power down when I pressed record.  Or, restart on pressing record.  Or not power up with a fully charged battery.  Would have to pull the battery and replace to get camera to function.  Randomly shut down for no apparent reason.  All with latest firmware updates and approved cards.  

The replacement has been more stable with most of the unplanned shutdowns due to overheating.  I've had to take a few extra steps that I didn't have to worry about with the Hero 4 Black to keep it running for extended periods outside in the Texas sun, but I think I've about got them figured out.  (No wifi, pull internal battery while running off external charger, etc.)  I do have an occasional SD card issue - even with approved SD cards, but they are easily identifiable as SD card issues.  

Highlighted
Hiker

It sounds like you're saying "the device has issues, but I've found work-arounds".  Does that sound like a reasoanble paraphrasing?

It also sounds like the issues are related to WiFi and/or power draw, and possibly heat-related (in my case the shut-downs are not in a hot environment though) -- and removing the internal battery when powered by USB power seems to have created a 100% reliable situation for you?

If so, I'd like to hear what the senior tech support staff at GoPro has to offer on what appears to be a power management issue.  We haven't had these types of problems with Hero 5, 4 or 3+ cameras, and honestly, not having the battery in there makes the device less reliable; should the A/C power fail while the battery is in, the device just keeps on going on battery power (until the A/C power is restored).  If there's no battery inserted and the power fails for any reason, we lose any uncommitted footage. 

I'm willing to help troubleshoot if GoPro is willing to be a partner in resolving the problem.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I had the same issue the week I got mine. GoPro replaced and it worked fine for 3 months. Now all of a sudden last 3 days it started doing it again. We do a YouTube Channel and I have missed so much content with the new camera. I am scared to use it now and when I do I am paranoid. It makes me sick cause all I use is GoPro for my channel back to the 6 till I can figure out the problem. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @kelleys5

Please reach out to our Support Team regarding the issue on the replacement.

You may also refer to the sane case number.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej