Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

hero 7 black randomly shuts off

My Hero 7 Black randomly shuts down - sometimes restarts, sometimes stays off - when pressing the record button.  This is NOT an overheating issue.  Camera is only on for a few minutes prior to pushing record, and imediately restarts after button is pushed.  Not even warm to touch.  Have updated firmware to latest edition.  

Occasionaly will turn off after recording for a few minutes as well.  I don't believe it is overheating because ambient temperatures aren't warm enough yet, and in aluminum cage to help with temp control.  Occasionaly won't turn on at all, and have to pull battery to wake up.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: hero 7 black randomly shuts off

Please check to make sure you are using a compatible/recommended memory card in your camera:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Also make sure that after you have backed up your files, that you are formatting your card in the camera itself and not in a PC.  

Highlighted
Hiker

All my cards are on the recomended list.  

Highlighted
Adventurer

Trying to understand if you are Using Quick Capture when you press the record the camera automatically starts and in a short time just stops and shuts down?  You are not using hte Mode on at all.

Since you said you used the recommended cards of gopro are you  formatting and how?  It may be important and I am asure you know how to do a ful lformat, that may be an issue if the cards are not correctly used. And sounds like the signs of an Issue?

1. Do a full Format not quick, i nthe computer, then you can do the quick format and or in the camera and report back

let us know  after you  formatted and gave another shot.  GoPro would want  you to flash again the firmware and always flash whenever atrouble comes about, that is the solution to fixing issues before  sending in  faulty cameras.

Highlighted
Hiker

I typically don't use quick capture, but hadn't turned it off until yesterday.  Yesterday it wouldn't respond at all until pulling the battery.  Typically, I have it powered on and when I'm ready to start I'll hit the power button.  Sometimes it starts recording.  Sometimes it restarts.  Sometimes it powers down.  Sometimes it only happens once.  Sometimes it does it over and over again.

I haven't tried formatting in camera, so trying that out.  The inconsistancy of the issue may take a while to confirm if that's the issue or not.

I suspect the locking up is a seperate issue.  It doesn't occur as frequently, but is annoying none the less.

Highlighted
GoPro

@supercliff24021, by any chance, do you get the same result when using a secondary battery?

After formatting your SD card, try reinstalling the firmware update of the camera as it can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

• NOTE: Make sure the UPDATE folder is unzipped/extracted, before placing it on the SD card. If the folder is compressed, the camera will not be able to read it.
  • Ensure the UPDATE folder does not have any additional characters in the folder title, i.e. "UPDATE (1)". The camera will only recognize a folder titled "UPDATE", in upper case letters with no additional characters.

Should symptoms persist, despite using a recommended SD card and the firmware re-updated, please let our Support team know so they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Like said the computer format is the best it clears all card issues, if another card can not be tried and formatted then try reflashing you still need to save the files and still need to format a card.  always working with a clean card wins.  Thanks for letting me know you do not use QC and only Mode on   so it is deffently a camera issue 

Highlighted
Hiker

Haven't changed batteries.  Behaved the same before and after firmware update so I'm skeptical that it had any effect.  When I did do the firmware update did it through the microsd card and had no issues.  Are we expected to reformat the card every time we have to remove files from the card?  Also, I'm not convinced it's the card since it is an almost instantaneous shutdown/restart as if there's a short or something inside the camera.  Still testing the reformat theory and I'll update if I'm able or unable to replicate the issues.