12-13-2017 10:39 AM
I just got my hero 6 with the karma drone yesterday. I plugged everything up overnight and it all charged fine but the actual hero 6 camera. The red light was off so I turned it on but it gave me the low battery alert. I've since then tried charging it in my laptop and a few other outlets and watching it. I've observed it turn red (like its charging) then 15 minutes later its off (appearing to be fully charged). I turn it on and its still dead. I currently am charging it and it has stayed red for 45 minutes. Hopefully, I can get it to charge but if not what could be the problem? I'm thinking maybe it's a bad connection with the charging cord. I'm really hoping it's not the actual camera. I'm read how horrible Go Pro customer service is and really don't want to have to return it because I'm going on vacation in 2 days. what would you suggest I do? Please help!
12-13-2017 11:27 AM
I am sorry to hear you are having issues getting that camera to power on. Check out these steps to see if we can get you up and running:
- Disconnect the camera from any external power source and remove SD card. Remove and reinsert battery.
- Press the Mode Button to see if the camera responds (look for LED illumination, beeps, or a response from the camera’s screens).
- If there's no response, attempt to reset camera by pressing and holding the Mode Button for 8-10 seconds. After releasing the button, leave the camera alone for ≈5 seconds and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
- If still unable to get any sign of life from camera, connect to a 5V 2A wall charger (5V 1A minimum) using the GoPro USB Type-C cable, look for red LED illumination to indicate charging. NOTE: In a pinch, you can use a computer USB port, but we do not recommend using a multi-port USB hub when trying to charge the camera.
- If the red illumination LED does not appear, try using a secondary USB Type-C cable.
- If/when red LEDs illuminate, allow camera to remain charging for a few minutes.
- Remove the camera from charging source and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
- If provided with a response, allow camera to turn back off, insert the SD card and wait ≈5 seconds, then attempt to record a sample video.
Let us know how it goes!
12-13-2017 11:33 AM
Make sure you are using a 5v 2amp Wall charger and that your connections are turned off. Also make sure the camera is up to date! Here is how we recommend to charge the camera:
- Ensure that the Connections setting is off (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Auto Upload), and power off the camera.
- Hold down the Latch Release button on the side door, then slide the door open.
- Connect the camera to a USB wall charger that outputs 5V 2A (ideal), or 5V 1A (minimum). NOTE: Charging times may vary based on the charger and its output.
- Alternatively, you can connect the camera to the USB port on a computer. For the fastest results while using a computer USB port, try to use a port on the back of a desktop computer. If using a laptop computer, please ensure that it is connected to wall power for the duration of the camera charging process.
- The camera status light turns on during charging and turns off when charging is complete.
From a completely depleted battery, it can take about 2 hours using a USB wall charger or about 4 hours if a computer USB port is used.
12-13-2017 11:33 AM
I just charged it for 1.5 hours and turned it on to see if it charged. (the light was off). I turned it on. It said 58% and within two minutes it was down to 1%. this is really annoying since I haven't even had it 24 hours. Could it be the battery?
12-13-2017 11:38 AM
It could be the battery but lets try updating the camera to the latest firmware via a manual update. Follow this link and select "Update your camera manually." Also make sure you are using a recommended SD Card:
12-13-2017 11:52 AM
So I got the Ultra PLUS microSDHC V10 C10 A1 32GB which I'm learning is the wrong one. If I go get the correct card should that fix the problem? Also, my laptop doesn't have a micro SD reader and I was trying to avoid buying one. But if I have to then I'll do it. I can't update my Hero 6 since I don't have the right SD card or a reader. Is that why my Hero 6 wont hold a charge?