Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: hero 6 shuts down while recording

I posted this complete thread in the feedback. Hopefully they will get to work on this. Also, it has been days now with my hero 6 working without shutting down on firmware 1.51. Firmware 1.51 has bugs, but it is better than 1.60. At least the camera is usable with firmware 1.51, as where 1.60 is not in my case. Also, I am only running the camera at 1080 60 fps with superwide view.

Highlighted
Tourist

Read many posts regarding GoPro hero 6 black and it's shutting down.  One author resorted to name-calling the GoPro help staff.

Well, I too was at my wit's end with this camera.    I installed the 1.51 Firmware.  It worked, yet did not capture as nice videos (but it didn't shut down).   Figured there must be a better solution. But....I tried something novel, I followed directions.

I consulted the GoPro site and saw that there was a nice table regarding which SD cards work with which GoPros.  The Hero 6 has a very narrow list of SD cards which will work.   I rummaged through my SD cards and found a SanDisk Extreme V30 with 64 Gigabyte.  

I installed the above card,  re-installed the 2.01 Firmware (manually), left the battery in the camera, hooked it up to an external 5 volt power supply.  Turned it on and went on a two hour motorcycle ride.  Hallelujah!, fantastic videos!, NEVER shut off, camera wasn't even warm to the touch!  I am in the proverbial Zen Garden.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hi @josephh21

We appreciate you sharing your experience.

This will help other users who may come across the same issue on the camera.

Stay Stoked!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

I run 256gb Samsung EVO. It is not a card compatibility issue on my end I assure you. As for 2 hour run time, yes it is possible with no overheating, but put in a larger card and take it on a 8 hour+ ride with charging cable hooked up and see what happens. I have run the 256gb card 12+ hours without a hitch with no battery inside the camera several times untill the charging cable came unplugged while recording and caused some type of surge killing the camera from working this way with no battery in. I have duplicated this issue several times till I decided to give up on recording with no battery in. There is compatibility issues for sure, but not card related on my end.
Highlighted
Hiker

EDIT: The above was with firmware 1.51 though when I tested. Firmwares above this it does not matter if battery is in or out, it will shut down at different times.
Highlighted
Hiker

So far firmware 1.51 is still the best for not shutting down while battery is in and charging cable connected with samsung 256gb evo card.
Highlighted
Tourist

I'm sure that Firmware 1.51 is the best with the above mentioned Samusung card (looks like you have done your testing).  However,

I do not see that card on GoPro's list of tested/approved cards, which likely represents compatibility with Firmware 2.01 on the GoPro 6.  Before I re-installed the latest firmware and switched to an approved card, I never got more than 48 minutes of video without shutting down (usually not even close).  The GoPro Hero 6 also became very hot.  That is now solved.  

The reason that I didn't give up on the Hero 6 and the upgraded firmware:  remarkable image quality, low light capability, exposure, color and stabilization.

I'm not sure that the previous firmware editions are as capable ( I really don't know, I didn't save any videos from when I installed 1.51).

I have a GoPro Hero 5 and compared videos at similar settings (and same motorcycle,  mount and roads) with the now fully functional Hero 6.  The difference is worth it.  

I'm going on a long ride in warm weather tomorrow.  I'll leave the camera on for  at least four hours and report my results.   

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes, please post your results, and I as well as many other appreciate your time with this testing. I dont think you will get 4 hours of recording though with a 64 gig card even at 1080 res. My tests have all been with 1080 res running 256 gb card, and max on it recording was 14 to 16 hours. If you run 1080, you might get 3.5 hours and at any higher resolution than that will be shorter time.