Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: hero 6 shuts down while recording

My Test Results

Ran my longer test. GoPro Hero6 + Firmware 2.01+ SanDisk Extreme 128GB V30 (yes, a card that is recommended on the GoPro website) 1080 60 fps.  I stated that I would run the test for four hours, yet saw other requests for longer times, loops, etc.  Well, I ran it for over SEVEN hours, the camera stated that there was about ten more minutes of recording left on the card (was not on loop function).   However, I wanted to wrap this up.  All of this was outdoors on a warm day. The first three hours were on a motorcycle ride in direct sunlight, the last four hours were outside on my porch, also in direct sunlight.  Absolutely no spontaneous shutting off.  No overheating....the camera wasn't really even hot to the touch.  The video quality is terrific.  The gauges recorded nicely. No problems what so ever.  

Sure, it would be nice if Firmware 2.01 worked with every card, but I'll gladly use one of the listed cards so that I may use the Hero6 with the latest firmware and all of its' improvements.  Could it fail after seven hours?  I don't know.  I could run it for ten hours, then ask "could it fail after ten hours?".  That could go on ad infinitum.

This is good enough for me.  Should I have any issues of failure in the future, I'll post on this site. 

Jay

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for your testing results Jay. I ordered a recommended large capacity card which should be here Wed. I will test as well and see what happens on my existing gopro hero6 black and see if I have results like yours.

Highlighted
Hiker

tried the expensive recommended card on the list a Lexar 1000X 128gb. Ran nearly all day right around 6.5 hours and it shut down like previous tests. This was on the latest firmware. I give up on this. This is such a ridiculous mess to say the least. These hero6 blacks were obvious not ment for the long haul. Good for short recordings and thats about it. I am going to bump firmware back down to the 1.51 as that is the best I could get as for recording time out of this piece of junk. Been testing these since about September or October of last year. Hero5 is still the most stable. I am going to find a different brand of camera all together and sell all hero6 blacks. One mans junk is another's treasure.......
Highlighted
Tourist

Good test. Thanks. Wish it had worked out for you.
Jay
Highlighted
Hiker

I will post my results with firmware 1.51.
Highlighted
Hiker

Okay everyone. I ran the same gopro hero6 with the recommended list card, lexar 128gb 1000X. It failed with the latest firmware as I mentioned in a previous post. I put firmware 1.51 on and ran today  for over 10 hours straight in the same vehicle, same location on the windshield, and still with ac vents blowing onto it, and guess what?? No failure... Tell me it isn't a firmware flaw gopro Techs! I never had a problem with the hero 6 till update 1.60 and above came out pertaining to this issue.  Also it was hotter today as for outside temperature than it was on the test with the latest firmware. Today 106 degrees outside temps.  It did not overheat on the latest firmware, or this one. This issue needs resolved ASAP Gopro!!! Quit telling lies about non compatible cards, overheating, installing the latest firmware with a manual update, blah, blah, blah. This issue needs escalated to a higher authority, maybe the firmware team to get this fixed once and for all.

Highlighted
Adventurer

WOW great to hear so FW 1.51 is the answer.      Well it'sa steamer here and guess that was why mine failed but good to know when I need to do  Long videos  of something. thanks for hte testing and notes.  FISH

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Hi!

I have struggled with this shut down issue since january...

My setup is for live streaming: 
1. Gopro without sd card and without battery
2. Micro HDMI and USB-C connected
3. HDMI goes to avermedia streaming box
4. From streaming box to laptop with USB 3.1 cable
5. Streaming 720p/60fps to youtube

Sometimes the camera has stayed on for along time over 12 hours and maybe more, but most often it shuts down in 1-2 hours.
Temperature is not a problem because the camera is located in big sport's hall's ceiling and temperature is between 13-20 celsius.

I haven't updated the newest firmware so i think i have the 1.60 version right now. Has the newest firmware fixed this problem or do i need to return this Gopro back to the store?