Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

hero 5 missing audio

Hey All

I've been experiencing an interesting problem. When I go out and shoot a heap of stuff on my H5 Black, recently 2 days of events that can't be replaced sadly, I get back home, capture the awesome images and ... no sound

I've done a lot of reviewing of the files and data and  have found that the audio I'm "missing" is there, but is recorded at -50 db or there about. 

I've put a bit more detail in 2 videos I've made about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu3UZiaspsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVVdSBYq1Ak

Which contain images showing what I've found. I'm keen to hear if others have experienced the same.

More recently, i've begun to wonder if it's actually related to the GoPro audio adapter. I've taken all the information and findings I have and have provided them to GoPro support. Hopefully I'll hear back soon with some info.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: hero 5 missing audio

Tim:

HAs this been with QuikCapture used? or turning on the camera and then pressing record?  High five my Friend!!!

Highlighted
Tourist

I *think* it's between the mic adapter and the gopro. 

Possible sequence of events:
1 - assemble GP, Adapter, and Mic
2 - record a test shot

3 - plug comptere into the adaptors USBC socket (take note of this)
3 - capture test shot. Test Shot usually ok

4 - remove cable from adaptor USBC

5 - shoot my footage
6 - capture my footage, and find no audio

What I've noticed recently is that when I plug in the adaptor I check it is set up on the GP under Audio Input as Standard or Standard+ (same happens with either)

When I check it after capturing my test shot and detaching from the computer, under Audio Input it says "NA"

I need to repeat this a few times step by step to confirm it fully but thats what I've observed so far.

Highlighted
Tourist

I *think* it's between the mic adapter and the gopro. 

Possible sequence of events:
1 - assemble GP, Adapter, and Mic
2 - record a test shot

3 - plug comptere into the adaptors USBC socket (take note of this)
3 - capture test shot. Test Shot usually ok

4 - remove cable from adaptor USBC

5 - shoot my footage
6 - capture my footage, and find no audio

What I've noticed recently is that when I plug in the adaptor I check it is set up on the GP under Audio Input as Standard or Standard+ (same happens with either)

When I check it after capturing my test shot and detaching from the computer, under Audio Input it says "NA"

I need to repeat this a few times step by step to confirm it fully but thats what I've observed so far.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Have you gotten a response? I am experiencing the same issue using the gopro adapter on my hero5 + Rode VideoMicro

Highlighted
Adventurer

@dtdurke wrote:

Have you gotten a response? I am experiencing the same issue using the gopro adapter on my hero5 + Rode VideoMicro

We both got the same exact email responses. Future  firmware. rephrain from the use of you  quikcapture and use a powered mic.

gopr wants to replace my camera   not b/c it can not fix the sound, b/c they like to.