Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

hero 5 black completely dead after software update crash

[ New ]

As the title reads. Attempted to update to 2.70 during which the update crashed and now the camera is a paper weight. Tried all the reset procedures to no avail.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: hero 5 black completely dead after software update crash

[ New ]

If you've already tried a manual update without success, please reach out to our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs so we can help troubleshoot this issue with you. Thanks.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @patricks72662

If you haven't yet, please proceed with a manual update.
Once done, reset the camera to its factory settings
If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.
They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
It would help if you Aragon, could tell us what the update actually does. I spent 30 minutes working with your support and they couldn't help me. The release notes are incorrect. This is exactly why I didn't update mine yet. I have a race event coming up and wanted to be sure the update was not going to drastically change something or cause issues. You guys need to get it together.
Tourist

[ New ]
All the mentioned procedures were attempted several times. I then reached out to Gopro Support which in which the same procedures were attempted twice more. The end solution was the camera needed to be sent in for exchange or repair. Being that I have the go Pro plus subscription there was a service charge of $59. I also was offered a $100 Off coupon for the hero 8 black which I was glad to except.
I purchased the hero 8 black and just let the hero 5 serve as a paperweight on my desk. I’m enjoying the hero 8 black so much that I’m glad that the Hero 5 did bite the dust when it did.
Something worth mentioning is that the software update only crashed on the 1 of the 4 that I have. The other for Gopro‘s all excepted the software update with no errors. One hero 5 black one hero 6 black and one hero 7 black.
Tourist

[ New ]
The software update pertains to battery compatibility for the hero 5, 6 and 7 black that want to use the hero eight black battery.
If you don’t have the Hero 8 black or hero 8 black batteries then there’s no need to update your software on your cameras.
Tourist

[ New ]

mine bricked too....what a scam

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

If you've already tried a manual update without success, please reach out to our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs so we can help troubleshoot this issue with you. Thanks.

Tourist

[ New ]
Mine bricked too ....what a scam