Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

hero 4 freezing after the update

hero 4 freezing after the update to 5.0 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: hero 4 freezing after the update

Hi @sunnyriver2102,

If your camera is having a difficult time installing the update, this might be related to an issue with the SD card, UPDATE files, or the camera itself.

First, ensure that you're using one of the recommended SD cards for GoPro cameras. Then reformat your microSD card in the camera with the “Delete” function in the settings menu. If you're unsure of how to do that, read these instructions on how to reformat your microSD card in your HERO4 camera.

Next, are you installing the update through GoPro App? The wireless connection could be causing the file transfer to fail during the process. Thus, resulting to failed or stucked update.

Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO4

• NOTE: Make sure the UPDATE folder is unzipped/extracted, before placing it on the SD card. If the folder is compressed, the camera will not be able to read it.
  • Ensure the UPDATE folder does not have any additional characters in the folder title, i.e. "UPDATE (1)". The camera will only recognize a folder titled "UPDATE", in upper case letters with no additional characters.

Hopefully this helps!

Ann

Highlighted
Tourist

SD card is one of the reason to cause freeze? I admit I use cheap SD card, so this is the reason? My camera is less than a week old and it never fail to freeze daily, there is no way to do anything or shut down when it freezed. Either leave it until it auto turn off or remove the SD card, press and hold for button for 10sec to turn off. BTW, if it the software update that causes the freeze, oh dear I just use less than a week, i have been updating software for 3 times, so many updates from gopro?
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @kia0042

If a camera is freezing up, it is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. Try removing the SD card and see if the camera still freezes up. If it no longer freezes, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. Here's some information on SD card recommendations.  

For reference, see Camera Freezes Up

Thanks!

Ej