Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

heating problem

Hey , I bought my go.pro hero 7, on Oct 10

It's heating like hell on a 4k video,

5 min videos makes this device so hot that I guess it needs a coolant. Meanwhile my battery backup is very poor just 1 hour that's it....

The firmware is up to date.... Let me know asap what Shud I do

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: heating problem

Hi @nobleboost83346,

May I know the temperature while you're shooting? 

Also what is the SD card brand and model you're using?

Thanks,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi,

I Dont know the temeprature but yes it becomes very hot

the card i am using is this  " Strontium Nitro A1 128GB Micro SDXC Memory Card 100MB/s A1 UHS-I U3 Class 10 with High Speed Adapter for Smartphones Tablets Drones Action Cams "

Highlighted
Explorer

Heat with 4K filming is normal https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/HERO4-Black-Camera-Temperature-and-Perform... (especially around the protective lens, DO NOT TOUCH THE LENS IF FILMING IN HIGH PERFORMANCE MODES), however it is recommended that you use a card off of GoPro's list of tested cards. https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

If the camera gets too hot, it will shut itself down.

For expected battery life, you can check this table. One hour seems about right. https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hero7-battery-information
Highlighted
Adventurer

4k60 with all features can cause and will cause a shut down.  their steps a re to  stop the camera turn off then  on start up to save the file, this is not  a Normal way a camera should work but for gopro it is.

Yi can run till the bat goes off  becau enclosed in a rubber   heavy duty frame. that is the advatange and disatvantage .   Would you want a cheap made camera one drop Breaks? or a camera thatshuts down and can record a few minutes later....

about an hour isall we get on the 4K.

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

My personal observations:

1. recording 4k/60fps more than 12 minutes > hot as hell, especially border around lens cover (I am pretty sure works as heatpipe like in graphic card)
  2. 56 minutes - maximum recording time in 4k/60fps. Overheating turn off camera
  3. it is a little bit better with heat if gp7 is on move like on bike when you have airflow.
  4. camera is over heat in 4k (30/60) 2,7K (30/60/120) and 1080 in 240fps.

I can approved this situetion if is warm but not hot as pan. Now we have ~ 18 during day and low sunlight but what will be in full sun at the beach ? Can not imagine that.

Highlighted
Explorer

Technology is getting better, but it's actually more "normal" for cameras that have 4K/60fps recording capability to have limitations on how long they can record.
For example:
Nikon D500 record limit 29 minutes 59 seconds
Nearly all Cannon cameras have a 4K recording limit of 30 minutes
Sony cameras that shoot high resolution video, like the A7S II, are known to overheat from as little as a few minutes to about 50 minutes
iPhone X is reported to overheat when shooting in 4K
Samsung Galaxay S9 are limited to five minutes
Xperia XZ Premium is reported to overheat when shooting 4K

AND AS FAR AS Yi is concerned, well, this is what Yi Technologies has to say https://help.yitechnology.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005740188-Why-does-the-camera-become-so-hot-when-...
Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

Ok @danielr15 you calm me down but as a PC parts geek we all know that life of overheating CPU is shorter than not overheat thats why many people buy watercooling or better fans. So we can say this is kind of technological problem is not only gopro problem but all devices which redording in high res/fps.

Iam leaving a hope that new firmware will have more optimal algorithms which coding datas, I mean not so overload CPU if is possible of course...