Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Backpacker
Accepted Solution

h8fw1.50 .... 4K W and 2.7K W, no EIS...same FOV (field of view)?

[ Edited ]

hi,

just playing around with settings today....

I eliminate hypersmooth.

to me 4K 4:3 and 2.7K 4:3 FOV both on Wide lens looks the same.... strange...same for 4K vs 2.7K (both 16:9)

on-camera monitor screen, on iPhone preview, on iPhone after I downloaded, on PC after transferred directly from the card...on all looks the same FOV....

4k.JPG

27k.JPG

maybe is just me,

robert

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: h8fw1.50 .... 4K W and 2.7K W, no EIS...same FOV (field of view)?

think of in terms of printing off a photo. you can print a photo out to a small, wallet sized print or you can print it out to a full A4 sheet of paper.

The fov is the same in both prints but the larger one can show you more details.

In super wide the camera takes the whole sensor and squished he image down to a 16:9 image at the selected resolution.

Wide will crop in to a 16:9 image cropped in from the edges a little. This is then downscaled to the required resolution.

In narrow it crops in even further however because of this the image is now smaller than a 4k image so narrow isn't available at 4k but it can still be downscaled to 2.7k and 1080.

Linear is the only mode that applies lens correction and here it is still then downscaled to the required resolution.

If a resolution was only available a a crop of the sensor at that size then 1080 would all have to be narrow shots.

Don't know about the 7 but in the 6 the wide fov is the same at all resolutions

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

erm, I'm not sure if I've missed something here but you choose 2 different resolutions but set up the aspect ration the same (4:3) and the field of view the same (wide lens) and think it.strange that they then both have the same aspect ration and field of view but different resolutions?

Can you describe how you think that these settings should have functioned as they appear to be doing exactly.what they ought to be doing.
Highlighted
Backpacker

[ Edited ]

hi,

on hero5/6/7 I'm sure I saw the FOV shrinking 4K ---> 2.7K ----> 1080.

would be more logical to see a narrower FOV 2.7K than 4K, because you use the same lens and less sensor (crop)...

but, maybe GoPro in hero8 apply some new lens correction the I(at least) 'm not aware...

my colleague whom I sold my hero7 is not in the office to check.....

gpsensor.JPG 

just me,

robert

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]
the field of view has no dependency.on the resolution. The resolution dictates the amount of detail in the image, the lens dictates the field of view.

In the gopro case the physical lens is very wide angle. the wide, narrow, etc views are crops out of the full width of the sensor. that is the reason that narrow wasnt available in 4k - you can't crop to the narrow field of view and still have 4k left. A real lens with the same fov wouldn't care about the resolution.
Highlighted
Backpacker

hi,

don't get me wrong!

I'm glad it is how it is!!!!...and if it in purpose.

I want almost the same FOV in all resolution, nice feature!...but only if it is normal, in purpose and not a bug.

FOV is depending on the resolution in our case.

for 4K you will read the sensor area marked 4K

because lower resolution means you crop the sensor, you will read for 2.7K only the 2.7K area from the sensor.

it's like the FX (35mm) sensor and DX (24mm) sensors in DSLR/mirrorless cameras.

with the same lens DX will give you a "zoomed" image than FX

the same crop from FX to DX like GoPro.

the red is the "image".

seen with 4K.

4K_43.JPG

the same with 2.7K crop should be:

27K_43.JPG

I said....unless some lens correction is applied to make it different...

just me,

robert

Highlighted
Hiker

think of in terms of printing off a photo. you can print a photo out to a small, wallet sized print or you can print it out to a full A4 sheet of paper.

The fov is the same in both prints but the larger one can show you more details.

In super wide the camera takes the whole sensor and squished he image down to a 16:9 image at the selected resolution.

Wide will crop in to a 16:9 image cropped in from the edges a little. This is then downscaled to the required resolution.

In narrow it crops in even further however because of this the image is now smaller than a 4k image so narrow isn't available at 4k but it can still be downscaled to 2.7k and 1080.

Linear is the only mode that applies lens correction and here it is still then downscaled to the required resolution.

If a resolution was only available a a crop of the sensor at that size then 1080 would all have to be narrow shots.

Don't know about the 7 but in the 6 the wide fov is the same at all resolutions
Highlighted
Hiker

p.s. the crop factor of a sensor is based on its physical size now its resolution so a 1/2.3mm sensor has a crop factor of 5.5 regardless of it being a 4k, 2.7k or 1080 sensor
Highlighted
Backpacker

...Smiley Happy... mm=inch

(I just hope it is a 1/2.3" sensor inside)