Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

gps not working on go pro hero 8

[ New ]

Hi,

GPS simply does not work on my go pro. The GPS option has been switched to ON  in the preferences under regional. The symbol does not even appear on the main screen let alone highlighted that it has a signal. I have factory resetted the device and formatted the SD card as has been suggested in some posts but still nothing. This is really disappointing considering this is one of the reasons I bought this device. Please advise.

Regards

Andy

GoPro

Re: gps not working on go pro hero 8

[ New ]

Hello, @sunmiller. This is odd. When you swipe down on the rear screen such that it shows the Preferences screen, the GPS icon should always be visible. Grayed-out if on but the camera is not detecting GPS, solid white if on and GPS is detected, or with a slash if disabled. 

Will you be able to show us a screenshot of what you have on the Preferences page on the camera? Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

Yes I have checked this and you are correct the GPS icon in on the screen when you swipe down. So This is being highlighted in white which looks good so that seems to resolve the first issue.

The next issue I face is that after a short walk with GPS seemingly enabled, I have just downloaded this to GoPro Quick and when I select 'Adjust Gauges' the message 'NO GPS DATA' is displayed. Please advise.

Thanks
Andy

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry, @sunmiller. Currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. We are focusing on adding this functionality to our latest GoPro Desktop application in the near future, but in the meantime, the GoPro App on iOS and Android can add telemetry gauges using GPS performance stickers.

These steps will walk you through using GPS Performance stickers in the app. 

Hiker

[ New ]

This is really not good enough that you advertise this device and dont have the software that can allow the addition of telemetry, surely this would be something you would do before releasing a product?

My phone does not have the space nor is able to play HEVC files so all my work has to be done on my laptop. I find it incredbly annoying that this is the only way of achieving it. How long is it going to take before this feature is available in Quik? I have a good mind to send this go pro back as it was the main reason I went for this over the other options on the market.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sunmiller

Other users suggest 3rd party desktop applications like Dashware or Racerender.

You may check those apps instead.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I have checked these apps out and they dont seem to be very user friendly or do what it is I would  do with Quik. Could you provide any user instructions on how to achieve this?

My point is you are selling these gopros and advertising software as Quick to add these gauges to the footage which is very poor. Also apparently if I downgrade my firmware on my go pro to v1.2 it will work! This seems very silly as no doubt I will intoduce known bugs... why have your firmware updates not allowed to remain in sync with Quick? Also, when is this bug going to be fixed?

Tourist

[ New ]
NoNo,
Quik for MAC doesn’t support telemetry gauges for HERO8 Black camera!
Quik for PC doesn’t support telemetry gauges for HERO8 Black camera!
Quik for ANDROID doesn’t support telemetry gauges for HERO8 Black camera!
GOPRO for ANDROID doesn’t support telemetry gauges for HERO8 Black camera!
Tried on ANDROID 10 ON SAMSUNG AND 9 ON XPERIA.