Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

gps data extraction.

What's the status on gps data tools for the Hero7 ?  There are messages from two years ago that say tools are coming.  

Also, does anyone know how to export an MP4 so that that embedded metadata (eg gps) is preserved and will be recognized by Quik ?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: gps data extraction.

I'm not sure I understand the question(s). GPS metadata is embedded in the mp4 file. GPS data has been able to be obtained since the HERO5 Black. Quik Desktop, Dashware, RaceRender, and the GoPro Mobile app will all display the GPS data captured by the camera.

This video was recently shared on this post explaining how to get the data in Dashware  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AJa4d52wPw

There are also plenty of other YouTube videos out there.  RaceRender is a pretty simple program to use as well.

For the Quik Destop App, see this FAQ

For mobile devices, see these FAQ's

There is also this group that discusses other ways to extract metadata

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

I'm not sure I understand the question(s). GPS metadata is embedded in the mp4 file. GPS data has been able to be obtained since the HERO5 Black. Quik Desktop, Dashware, RaceRender, and the GoPro Mobile app will all display the GPS data captured by the camera.

This video was recently shared on this post explaining how to get the data in Dashware  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AJa4d52wPw

There are also plenty of other YouTube videos out there.  RaceRender is a pretty simple program to use as well.

For the Quik Destop App, see this FAQ

For mobile devices, see these FAQ's

There is also this group that discusses other ways to extract metadata

Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Hiker

Currently there is no easy way to extract the gps data to a generic format.  Sure all those programs can read the gps data and display it in their own context. But how could I get, for example, a gpx file which could be used in completely different context ?  I'm sure I could download ffmpeg, download GO, compile go, dwonload this download that, 10 steps later I've got what I want.  

Why isn't there an easier way ?

Highlighted
Explorer

Did you watch the video? In the first step where the data is extracted it creates a .csv file. Dashware is GoPro's program, but the .csv file can be used in other ways.
Highlighted
Explorer

By the way, your welcome for providing you with the above information.
Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for the well composed reply above. I should have mentioned that before but I was a bit frustrated, mostly because this is a windows / mac disparity.  Dashware is windows only and I use a Mac.  Last night I finally gave in and booted up the vmware windows 10 and got it working but it's such a pain to have a work flow requiring windows.  

Anyway, thanks again, by the way.

Highlighted
Explorer

No problem. Sorry I couldn't find an easier solution for you.