Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

gopro max artefact

[ New ]

hello i have problem with strange squares in video while editing on android phone. the system and the application updated to the latest version, the phone is oneplus 7t pro the same video when editing for windows in the gopro player program is normal, so I exclude damage to the camara

50536c41-b35d-4362-b080-f359676ce6b4.jpg

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: gopro max artefact

[ New ]

Hi @bab1ch

An update has been recently released for the GoPro Quik app.

Let us know if the new version helps.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

see this and when editing, after processing the movie to 1080p, you can see these squares

6feacc7d-3b9c-4f77-8e53-bf6db2cad68b.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @kamic3348. For handling 360 media, make sure that your device meets the system requirements for 360 support in the GoPro App. See 360 Media Support in the GoPro App for details. 

Hiker

[ New ]

my phone and system meet the requirements. I do not know what it is, but on android, it does not only happen on my phone

Backpacker

[ New ]

Are you using a Samsung S20 or a phone with an Exynos processor?

Hiker

[ New ]
Snapdragon 855 plus
Hiker

[ New ]
my phone is oneplus 7t pro can anyone help?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kamic3348

We'll have this checked with the team.

Can you help us with the camera and the app version, please?

Do you observe the same with regular/non-360 videos?

To help isolate this further, would you be able to test this with another phone?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

All devices will show this issue when they "struggle" in performance. At least that's what I've seen on Android (Kirin and Snapdragon) and iOS (iPhone, iPad and MacBook).

The thing is, iOS devices "recover" from it without any issue. Similar to a dropped frame in a normal video, it just gets lost but when/if your device is performing fine again, your video will play ok again. I have tested this by running another cpu intensive process in the background on iPad. Also, my MacBook can't handle 360 videos in the GoPro player unless I set resolution to lowest and resize the window as small as possible. So it struggles much more than my Android device. However, those artifacts just show up and disappear on MacBook right away the moment I pause the video. On Android they stay.

It seems to get worse the longer you use the app on Android. No problems when you start using it but after some time the artifacts start to show up. Once this starts happening, they won't go away even if you make sure your phone is just running GoPro/Quik app. And even if it was performing fine and "not struggling" a minute ago.

So, yes, this issue happens when your device "struggles" in performance at a certain point. But iOS devices are able to handle those struggling moments and recover from them. Android devices aren't. And I reckon this should be looked at and fixed. However I have been told by GoPro developers that the only reason this happens is because my phone is not powerful enough. Cheap excuse that could actually be used for any issue Smiley Frustrated and easy way to clean your hands and look the other way.

Anyway, this issue was a good excuse for me to get an iPhone and iPad and I can tell you my stress levels are way lower now Smiley LOL 

Hiker

[ New ]

How is the oneplus 7t pro to be too weak for this application? 8 GB of RAM and a snapdragon 855 plus processor should turn on these applications in the background 3 times without a problem.

Can you help us with the camera and the app version, please?

my phone oneplus 7t pro snapdragon 855 plus 8 gb ram 256 rom os version 11 android

camera gopro max version nr 02.00 serial c335***

app wersion 7.3.2

Do you observe the same with regular / non-360 videos?

no hero mode works normally and 360 timewarp too

To help isolate this further, would you be able to test this with another phone?

on huawei p30 pro with Kirin 980 processor works normally

Hiker

[ New ]

I had the Huawei P30 Pro and this issue would start happening after playing with the app for a while. Again, another sign that this is a software and not a hardware issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

There is nothing to uninstall the application and install, so far I am forced to use the gopro player on windows where I also had to look for the HEVC codec two days because it is paid, you buy the equipment and you have to look for codecs that should be installed with the program

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kamic3348

Thank you for testing it with another phone.

We'll have this checked with the team to see if there are incompatibilities with the said model.

We'll post back for updates

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi! @aragon1006 

One Plus 6

snapdragon 845 8 gb ram 128gb rom os version 10 android

The same problem

Spoiler
just preview (not play video)
photo_2021-04-29 10.51.04.jpeg

and when playing video or rendering from phone more artifacts appear 
photo_2021-04-29 10.51.00.jpeg 

but everything is ok on MacBook Pro 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bab1ch

We have recently released an update for the GoPro Quik app.

Let us know how it goes with the new version.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
just downloaded a new version is not working
Screenshot_20210505-215549.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for getting back to us! @kamic3348

We'll have this shared with the team.

We'll let you know through this thread.

If you have access to another phone, would you mind testing if the same is observed?

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 !

the problem was not solved. installing a new version and reinstalling the app didn't help

(Phone One Plus 6)

When reinstalling, first  app launch was without artifacts and rendering problems in video

but on second  app launch all problems returned

Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @bab1ch. Which version of the GoPro Quik app are you using? Is your phone updated to its latest OS? Have you installed the latest firmware on your MAX?

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, @mariustanya 

GoPro Quik app version 8.5 (update may 17 2021)

Yes, GoPro and phone updated to latest OS and Firmware 

(Android 10, OnePlus Official OS: OxygenOS 10.3.10)

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bab1ch

An update has been recently released for the GoPro Quik app.

Let us know if the new version helps.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
J'ai viens de acheter Gopro Max et j'ai exactement même problème sur mon OnePlus 6.
Tourist

[ New ]

hi! @aragon1006 

After reinstalling the app, I tested old videos, the problem disappeared.

This is already a victory.

In the next few weeks, I'll see if the problem reappears or not, and I'll write again. 

Thank you very much to you and your team!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bab1ch

Thanks for the update.

Feel free to post back if anything comes up.

Hi @tygrysek199620

Sorry for any trouble caused.
Were you able to go through the updates?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
it still doesn't work, you have weak programmers who can't grasp it, you need to keep working on pc
Screenshot_20210609-023524.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]
Version 8.6, updated on June 9, still no longer works
Screenshot_20210609-023542.jpg