Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: gopro hero7 black RANDOMLY STOPS RECORDING

[ New ]

Will do, thanks! 

Hiker

[ New ]

You're not alone.  Same problem here.

I shot 3 stage performances and lost unreproducable footage as a result of the camera stopping by itself.  The problem happened with 3 different certified SanDisk Extreme microSD cards.

Tech support had me manually flash the firmware.  I ran 11 recordings of 1-2 hours.  In 3 of the tests, the camera stopped by itself.

- camera plugged into external power (whoever said it continues running off battery and shuts off when battery is out was wrong -- when plugged in, as long as the external power is supply juice, the camera should run continuous -- I've shot 4+ hour shows like this with the Hero 3+ Black, 4 Silver and 5 Black.

- Protune On - 1080 60p, Linear, no audio protune

- screen timeout 1 minute, LEDs off, WB 4500, ISO max 1600, auto-shutter

- sharpening=High, GoPro color. GPS on. No case/mount on vented table, env. temp 70-75 degrees.

- Phone about 20' from camera.  WiFi preview on Android app,

- 64 GB SanDisk Extreme certified card, empty.

- manually installed Latest firmware (same as what was on the camera)

I received a replacement camera and just ran two tests.

- test 1 -- 2 hours, no problem

- test 2 -- just before 2 hours, the camera was unplugged and re-plugged-in.  It stopped recording and I lost my phone connection and had to re-connect.

Interesting observation -- on the camera back, it shows the battery as a white battery with a lightening bolt in the center, showing 100% for the charge.  In the phone app it shows the white battery, but no lightening bolt.  Is this a relevant finding?

I'm going to continue tests, but it does seem there's a problem with the Hero 7 model relating to it shutting off by itself when *some* condition is present (TBD).  Based on what others have written, this is reproduceable even when the app. is not connected to it, but less frequently.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I as well have a hero 7 black purchased back in August. Mine constantly stops recordings. It may be 2 seconds or 4 minutes. I have gone through all the settings as best I know how. I have the screen saver at 1 min and have finally put power down at, never.Started with a sandisk 128gb ultra micro, now I have a sandisk 64gb extreme. No difference. Sometimes the GoPro will just stop recording, sometimes it will power off. Even when it's linked to the app on my phone the recording will stop on my phone. I have formatted from the camera. I have not even got 1 solid hour of use out of it. It's has the most recent version of 01.80. I bought this as a birthday present for my son. Starting to get frustrated and I'm sure he is as well!!!!!!!!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

UPDATE:  I returned my 2nd Hero 7 Black.  Ran a dozen tests... 30-40% of the time the camera just stopped recording by itself.

Unreliable = showstopper.

I'd love to be put on a testing program for the Hero 8 so I can start singing GoPro's praises again, instead of having to warn my peers about its unreliability.  I've offered -- but nobody from support has replied to my offer.

Tourist

[ New ]

So still trying to figure out what to do about this! Here's the thing, when I MANUALLY hit record on the unit itself this is NOT a problem! It records indefinitely...

However, if I use the app then it will stop recording on it's own at any random old time between 20-30 minutes, you never know! It's so frustrating. 

Can GoPro comment on this? Should I return the unit for a new one or does it matter??! So frustrated over here!!! 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

It is important to determine battery integrity to ensure that your camera works smoothly. 
You may perform a short record time test through the instructions here https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Short-Record-Times
Should you get a run time significantly shorter than the expected battery life, despite using a recommended SD card https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations and the camera being updated to the latest firmware, let our Support team know. This way, they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!
Ej