Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

gopro hero7 black RANDOMLY STOPS RECORDING

I use my Hero7 to record 1-hour video, under 1080p, 60 fps, linear mode, with a full battery and a 128G SD card. However, when I check the footage an hour later, the camera only recorded 20 mins. But it didn't turn off. It just exited the shooting mode by itself. This happed a few times. I don't know why. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: gopro hero7 black RANDOMLY STOPS RECORDING

This is odd, @jiahez48046. In regular recording mode and as long as the battery charge allows, recording should continue until the SD card storage space is consumed. Were you able to play the recorded video? Was it a regular video file? How much battery power was left? Which 128-GB card were you using? 

To isolate the cause of the trouble, let us make sure that your camera is running on the latest firmware. The steps below will help re-flash firmware to get rid of any possible issue with the current installation. 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Check and make sure that you are using one of the recommended SD cards on this list. Also, charge the camera to at least 50%, and format the SD card prior to the above process. If available, try recording with a different SD card after the update. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Highlighted
Adventurer

Save your work, format your card, how will you format the card ?  In a computer   not a quick but a full format, that will tak an hour, since htecard is a 128gb. the card can be your issue. if it has a bad sector a curruption, or the camera over heating.  Is it over heating at all?

Highlighted
Hiker

Do you have voice commands enabled...i find sometimes if im recording with the television on in the same room or even groups of people talking that sometimes a voice can stop the recording...just an idea.

Highlighted
Tourist

I found what caused this problem. It was not the card, it was the App. 

This is how I set it, I connect it with a 20000 mAh Portable Power Bank. I do recording while charging it. If I use the Gopro phone App to start recording, the camera will often auto stop recording within 1 hour. However, if I use the button on the camera to start recording, there is no problem. I am not sure if this is a rare case or not. I hope the tech support team can solve it.微信图片_20190418232432.jpg

I recently found another problem:

When shooting under 1080p, why 120 fps video quality is not as good as 60fps? Is this normal? As shown in the two pictures, the 120fps quality is much worse than the 60fps. (Both Auto Low Light setting was disabled. The camera was placed on the table. Those pics are screenshots from PC.) Somehow the 120FPS is not clear as 60FPS (you cannot read the words or number on the 120FPS pics, showing above). They are in same light condition, same position, same settings except for the fps.gopro 1080 120 linear ma zoom.PNG

gopro 1080 120 linear ma zoom.PNG

If the camera doesn't have these two problems it will be perfect.

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya wrote:

This is odd, @jiahez48046. In regular recording mode and as long as the battery charge allows, recording should continue until the SD card storage space is consumed. Were you able to play the recorded video? Was it a regular video file? How much battery power was left? Which 128-GB card were you using? 

To isolate the cause of the trouble, let us make sure that your camera is running on the latest firmware. The steps below will help re-flash firmware to get rid of any possible issue with the current installation. 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Check and make sure that you are using one of the recommended SD cards on this list. Also, charge the camera to at least 50%, and format the SD card prior to the above process. If available, try recording with a different SD card after the update. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

@mariustanya I found what caused this problem. It was not the card, it was the App. 

This is how I set it, I connect it with a 20000 mAh Portable Power Bank. I do recording while charging it. If I use the Gopro phone App to start recording, the camera will often auto stop recording within 1 hour. However, if I use the button on the camera to start recording, there is no problem. I am not sure if this is a rare case or not. I hope the tech support team can solve it.微信图片_20190418232432.jpg

I recently found another problem:

When shooting under 1080p, why 120 fps video quality is not as good as 60fps? Is this normal? As shown in the two pictures, the 120fps quality is much worse than the 60fps. (Both Auto Low Light setting was disabled. The camera was placed on the table. Those pics are screenshots from PC.) Somehow the 120FPS is not clear as 60FPS (you cannot read the words or number on the 120FPS pics, showing above). They are in same light condition, same position, same settings except for the fps.gopro 1080 120 linear ma zoom.PNG

gopro 1080 120 linear ma zoom.PNG

If the camera doesn't have these two problems it will be perfect.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Yes i agree with aobve solution..Format your card...And that too full format,it qwill take some time but believe us it is one of the easiset and fastest  solution to your problem..Also don't forget to take a backup of your data..Or else u will dig a big hole of problem for yourself..Regards.All the best formatting official site

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

You ar going to  have to Remove the internal battery.  you are using the Internal battery  while that is set  up that way.  more features on the more juices getus used.

Wi-fi uses battey up while recording faster.

when you are set up with that way  in record the  actual bat used is the Internal only and when it  can not go no more, the video will stop  camera will either shut down or stay on 

Also Using wifi and  external power and the bat bug.  there is a thread about his here?