Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

gopro hero 7 silver battery problem

Hi, bought my hero 7 silver a few weeks ago.

I'm a bit concerned that the battery is discharging even when it is switched off.

I charged it last night to 100%, this morning it was showing 92%, and this evening its showing 50%.

Apart from turning it on & off I have not taken any photos or videos.

I've read a lot of other threads regarding similar problems with the 7 black, but not the silver.

What is causing this or is it a faulty camera?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: gopro hero 7 silver battery problem

Hi everyone. Happy new year to you all.
As per my earlier post. I returned my silver and upgraded to the black which worked fine. Just after the upgrade GoPro introduced the offer of the battery and charger for the same price so I ordered another black and return the first one to my local retailer.
This worked fine until Christmas Day when a fully charged battery was totally flat. Lucky I now had 2 batteries. It was the Chinese battery that was causing the problem. It happened again the next day with everything turned off. I did a manual update and charged it without the card inserted (after reading through several threads)
It has been okay since.
Regards John.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @snavenhoj

If you have not done it yet, Try manually updating the firmware of your camera. 

You may also try to contact our customer support team via phone or chat, they might be able to help. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @snavenhoj,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Usually when you are experiencing issues with the battery of the camera; you may want to check your WIFI and GPS. It should be both off because even if the camera is off.

Finally, consider manually updating the software of your camera .

I hope this helps. Keep us updated.

V.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Jay and V.
Thank you for your response to my battery issues. I tried all the above solutions before contacting you. I’ve even removed the SD Card and turned off the voice control. The battery is almost flat now and I’ve only turned it on and off in the last 24 hours. Tomorrow I’m returning it to the retailer for an exchange or I may even upgrade to the black. This has been a disappointing experience for my first Gopro however I hope the black doesn’t have the same issues. Many thanks. John.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @snavenhoj,

I am sorry to hear that you feel that way with the Hero7 Silver. But I am positive that you will love the Hero7 Black.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

V.
Highlighted
Nomad

@snavenhoj wrote:

Hi, bought my hero 7 silver a few weeks ago.

I'm a bit concerned that the battery is discharging even when it is switched off.

I charged it last night to 100%, this morning it was showing 92%, and this evening its showing 50%.

Apart from turning it on & off I have not taken any photos or videos.

I've read a lot of other threads regarding similar problems with the 7 black, but not the silver.

What is causing this or is it a faulty camera?

You could do a full reset on camera and try again.

Also there is supposed to be a firmware update this month so this might also help.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks to everyone for your comments.
I had also done a full reset before starting this thread.
Yesterday I exchanged the silver for a black. I can at least remove the battery and also carry a spare if this happens again. I hope there is a firmware update because my son is having the same problem with his 7 silver. I’ll let you know about the black over the next week or so. Thanks. John.
Highlighted
GoPro

Feel free to post back @snavenhoj

We'll be happy to know how the HERO7 Black works out.

You may check this link for updates: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Software-Update-Release-Information

Thanks!

Ej