Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

gopro hero 6 with 128gb card very slow opening playback mode. normal?

[ New ]

hello,

if i format the card everything is super fast however as the card gets over 50gb the camera starts to slow down when switching to playback mode. time increases when approaching 100gb. it takes up to 25 seconds just to open the view mode! also huge lag when going through photos and videos and navigating in the menu...

i do a format and everything is fine. 

i just did send it for repair but was told the its completely normal for the camera to slow when approaching 100gb. i dont think its normal. is it?

by the way my card is: Sandisk Extreme Pro microSDXC 128GB (95MB/s)

thanks

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: gopro hero 6 with 128gb card very slow opening playback mode. normal?

[ New ]
It's normal. The on camera playback is not the primary function of the camera and so it's not optimized for having to pull that much data into playback memory. I don't know the specs, but I'm sure there is very little RAM allocated for the playback feature. This is over if the reasons the camera creates and utilizes the LRV (low resolution video) filled for payback on the camera.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
It's normal. The on camera playback is not the primary function of the camera and so it's not optimized for having to pull that much data into playback memory. I don't know the specs, but I'm sure there is very little RAM allocated for the playback feature. This is over if the reasons the camera creates and utilizes the LRV (low resolution video) filled for payback on the camera.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Do you think its the camera or the cards read speed?

Tourist

[ New ]

but 25 seconds just to check if the photo or video you just took is good? thats so long...

Tourist

[ New ]

im not sure to be honest but i dont think its normal

Adventurer

[ New ]

get anothercard, its warantied.

Explorer

[ New ]
Unlikely to be there card in the conditions you are describing. The camera only has 2GB RAM. Only a portion of that will be allocated for playback.

Don't store media on the card. Once you are done recording for the day, transfer the media off of the card and format in the camera. If you absolutely must have 100GB+ of media in the card, expect delays in playing back on the camera.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Since I have "A card" a 128gb goin to  fill it up and Play  the clip.  going to start and stop recording as I go, I will report back.  would that be good enough for  you posters?????

Adventurer

[ New ]

@nobleriver68782 I no longer own a hero 6,  @danielr15  2gb  of ram  are you  sure about that .   Thought the hero 8 had 2gb of ram and the Hero 7 1gb of ram. . 

While I am filming with the Hero 8 2gb ram processor, the camera on a 128gb plays Just fine on playback no hesitation.

Explorer

[ New ]
@fishycomics
You are correct. HERO6/7 have 1GB RAM
Adventurer

[ New ]

(Smiles)

I still see the 128gb card for me spot on plays the clips no issue but that is on my hero 8, sorry no need  for me to futher continue on a Hero 6 as  Iagain no longer own such a great camera.