Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

gopro hero 6 ice hockey lighting

problem1-im using gopro hero 6 ,this is shot in 2.k 60 fps at 100-400 iso , auto shutter, ev plus 1

im finding the lighting at top really blurrs, ghosts, not sure the exact term. any sudjestions how to fix this?

lighting.jpg

problem 2- in this video i did 2.k at 120 fps slomotion to see the flex in hockey stick but i get a ghosting effect...i was hoping to take a image from the video but in fast motion it realy blurs.

fast-image.jpg

have alook at the images,keep in mind these are stills from the video ,i didnt take images..

i've had lots of luck on here before,

any ideas  welcomed..or if you need more info let me know

thanks,

Adam

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: gopro hero 6 ice hockey lighting

Hey Adam!

On the issue of capturing the flex of your hockey stick, you want to set a shutter speed to as fast as you can get it. For FPS 120 you want a shutter of at least 1/480 and ideally 1/960. This will most likely require you to raise the ISO but for the scene you presented it looks like you wont need to go higher than 400-800. You will have to play around with this, but you also might want to try a slower frame rate. I know this sound counter intuitive, but for clean, no blur, frame grabs it's the shutter speed that matters most. Granted, using a faster frame rate gives you faster shutter options, but if you can keep the ISO lower with a faster shutter at 60fps, it's worth trying. It really shouldn't matter (60 fps with shutter of 1/480 should be the same as 120fps with a shutter of 1/480) but I've found I can get better results with the lower frame rate.

*Note: In really good lighting the best setting would be 1080/240fps with a shutter of 1/1920 to capture the flex and point of impact.

For the light flairs, you can try a couple of things. The ev of +1 is most likely causing the blurring/ghosting. If you are using the raised ev to keep your whites bright, manually setting the WB might be a better way to go with a lower ev. By reducing the ev you will see a reduction in ghosting/blur.

The second option is to lock a light meter. By pressing on the rear LCD you can set the light metering to the upper portion of the sensor(LCD) so that the camera adjust to the lights. Lock the value and be sure to hit the check mark so your settings are saved. By using the selective light metering you lose your ISO, Shutter, and ev settings, but in general, you will get very good results.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

Hey Adam!

On the issue of capturing the flex of your hockey stick, you want to set a shutter speed to as fast as you can get it. For FPS 120 you want a shutter of at least 1/480 and ideally 1/960. This will most likely require you to raise the ISO but for the scene you presented it looks like you wont need to go higher than 400-800. You will have to play around with this, but you also might want to try a slower frame rate. I know this sound counter intuitive, but for clean, no blur, frame grabs it's the shutter speed that matters most. Granted, using a faster frame rate gives you faster shutter options, but if you can keep the ISO lower with a faster shutter at 60fps, it's worth trying. It really shouldn't matter (60 fps with shutter of 1/480 should be the same as 120fps with a shutter of 1/480) but I've found I can get better results with the lower frame rate.

*Note: In really good lighting the best setting would be 1080/240fps with a shutter of 1/1920 to capture the flex and point of impact.

For the light flairs, you can try a couple of things. The ev of +1 is most likely causing the blurring/ghosting. If you are using the raised ev to keep your whites bright, manually setting the WB might be a better way to go with a lower ev. By reducing the ev you will see a reduction in ghosting/blur.

The second option is to lock a light meter. By pressing on the rear LCD you can set the light metering to the upper portion of the sensor(LCD) so that the camera adjust to the lights. Lock the value and be sure to hit the check mark so your settings are saved. By using the selective light metering you lose your ISO, Shutter, and ev settings, but in general, you will get very good results.

Hope this helps!
Explorer

BTW, locking a faster shutter may also reduce the light blur as it will reduce the amount of light coming into the sensor.
Hiker

Perfect Daniel.

thanks so much for your response..

i'll try these settings out..

i think the iso may have gotten bumped up in that shot by accident,  to 800 for these shots and ev up plus 2, it was just way to dark when i set up 120 fps for the slo motion.

for most cases ice hockey rink I keep ev up o.5 and iso 100-400, at 2.k at 60 fps and get great results,

this was a new rink so diffrnt lighting etc, and new to the slow motion stuff,

good points about shutter i'll try that out

thanks for taking the time,.

all the best my friend,

cheers,

Adam