Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

gopro hero 5 wont connect to app or phone without the on board wifi

I have had my gopro hero 5 black for about a year now without any problems connecting it to the bluetooth on my phone WITHOUT needing the onboard wifi in the camera. I used it for whenever I was on bike rides and would control it with my phone while on data connection and play my music while I ride

I stopped using it for about 4 months and now I just started trying to use it again yesterday, so I could videocall my gf and screenshare the live feed through the app while I work...

the camera wont register to my phone through bluetooth, and the app wont register my phone on the available connections... whenever i go to conmect new device on my camera and select bluetooth, it tells me to conmect to the app first before i can proceed, even when it already is... then it doesnt comnect to the app unless I turn on my wifi and connect my phone to the camera directly, which then turns off my data and forces my call to close...

I have tried resetting commections on my gopro, factory resetting my gopro, removing the gopro from my app and reconnecting, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and restarting my phone, I dont know what else to try. it keeps telling me the application stopped trying to choose a device to connect to my camera when I decline the direct wifi connect to it
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: gopro hero 5 wont connect to app or phone without the on board wifi

Hi @sparklysoccer91

Can you help us with the following information: Camera version, GoPro App version, phone and OS version.

I have just tested this with a Huawei P30 and the camera paired fine.

Try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network.  Send the app to the background and manually connect to the camera from your phone’s WiFi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then tapping the Info button on the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

If it's still the same, try testing the connection with another phone.

You can also share a screen recording of your workflow.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

the on board wifi works fine, but I used to be able to connect without it and use bluetooth, now it doesnt work. when I connect to the onboard wifi it disconnects my data so I cant call while I connect my phone to my gopro.

yes i still had to have my wifi on in order to connect, but it didnt force me to connect to the onboard wifi and prevent me from using bluetooth or the app.

Phone: LG V60 ThinQ 5g Dual Screen
Phone OS: Android 10 (pie I think)
Camera Version: 02.70
App Version: 7.0.1 (9560)
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hi @sparklysoccer91

Kindly try this once you have completed the pairing process.

Go to settings then manually connect to the camera name.

I have tried to replicate this and was able to connect to the camera using this method.

Would you be able to share a screencast/recording of your workflow?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 the site wont let me post a video/screenrecording... just still images and gifs any other way i can get it to you?

but i showed wifi, bluetooth, and data all on, and I tried comnecting to the gopro without the onboard wifi and it didnt work... then i tried the onboard wifi and the camera worked, then the call disconnected after trying to reconnect
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @sparklysoccer91

You may upload the screen recording to Youtube and post the link here.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 here is the link. lmk if it works.

https://youtu.be/eeDndRa9Z0Q
Highlighted
Hiker

So what I'm trying to do is connect my phone to my gopro through bluetooth or the app like I used to, and still have data open so I can videocall.. in that videocall I can screenshare the gopro app which then projects the camera feed onto the call screen