Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

gopro hero 5 waterproof

I had a problem with my gopro Hero5 Black... I finally got to use it in the water and my gopro did not work, I reported it gopro the answer was .. " there is nothing we can't do but we can offer you a 20% discount to buy another gopro"..... As much I love gopro no more I own 3 gopro camera and accessories.. This camera is not cheap I paid $399 for this camera. I'm videographer by trade with many video and camera equipment and I don't abuse my equipment. Is a shame that your customer service and GoPro company they dont care for their customers. They didn't offer addional help to send it to tech support to take a look at the camera and see what happen to the camera. Thank you gopro for loosing a customer...

Very dissapointed customer 

Adventurer

Re: gopro hero 5 waterproof

Sorry to hear of your Disaapointment.  Yes this has been hte way GoPro works and going back to the Hero 2   that  water damage is not covered, we'll be happy to offer you 40% off retail ofa new camera..

So this is really not new  and is  mentioned in the warranty?   I agree Gopro should  not decline you the chance to send back the camera for inspection and determine if the seals to the camera gave because of a defect?

We all were offered the chance to option for a care package, the Plus and we chose to pass on it, that would have with no questions covered your damages .  Since we did not take the pkg we all have to risk the  chances of water, to camera faults

again sorry to hear that you were turned down for a replacement.

FISH

Tourist

@papimustang wrote:

I had a problem with my gopro Hero5 Black... I finally got to use it in the water and my gopro did not work, I reported it gopro the answer was .. " there is nothing we can't do but we can offer you a 20% discount to buy another gopro"..... As much I love gopro no more I own 3 gopro camera and accessories.. This camera is not cheap I paid $399 for this camera. I'm videographer by trade with many video and camera equipment and I don't abuse my equipment. Is a shame that your customer service and GoPro company they dont care for their customers. They didn't offer addional help to send it to tech support to take a look at the camera and see what happen to the camera. Thank you gopro for loosing a customer...

Very dissapointed customer 

Same problem with my hero 5 black. Used mine for the first time in the ocean, with a floatation device attached, for about 5mins before it started giving a wierd message and wouldn't shut off. Yes it was all sealed up properly but the seal/s failed and now I have a paperweight.

It is out of warranty by 2 months and I received a polite 'I'm sorry but as it's out of warranty, all we can do is offer a 20% discount on a new unit. It cost me $500 and I expected it to last. I did all the right things but I just knew trusting those seals to be waterproof was a mistake.

Not happy

Tourist

So what I am confused about it they are advertised as waterproof to 10 meters but not covered for water damage .... doesn't anyone see a conflict there?
Highlighted
Hiker

I am not sure which country you are in but it is worth looking at the sales laws in your country. In many an item must be sold 'fit for purpose' and it is reasonable to expect a device sold as waterproof to remain waterproof for a reasonable life span. Generally for high end goods this is at least 2-3 years.

The other poster mentions the GoPro care you could have taken out, I disagree with this. You should not have to pay extra money to protect yourself against a device not working as advertised.

Obviously it depends on where in the world you are but certainly if you are in a country with strong consumer rights you can probably take it further. A friend of mine submitted a small courts claim against Apple for a faulty iPhone they refused to fix due to water damage (my friend denied ever getting it wet), they suddenly caved and replaced it as I am guessing they are more worried about a precedent in court.

Tourist

It is quite strange advertising how the hero 5 black is waterproof to 10 mtres but then have a policy of not covering water damage. Looking at other forums it seems you can't rely on tbe 5's being waterproof. Fit for advertised purpose .... that will be up to the ACCC in my country and I've already submitted a complaint. Fingers crossed

Explorer

Not covering water damage is due to the possibility of water entering into the camera with the doors improperly shut. This would be accidental damage and resulting in user error, not a fault of the camera.

Proving that the cause of water damage is due to manufacturer defect is easy enough to do. Put some litmus paper, or any tissue really, into the battery compartment. Ensure that the seals are clean and intact. Shut the door and submerge the camera. Give it a few minutes and then take the camera out of the water. Dry the exterior and then open the door. If the tissue is wet, then it points to a manufacturer defect. If the tissue is dry, then most likely the camera is sound, but if water damaged in the past it was likely due to user error.