Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

gopro hero 5 stops recording at random times

[ New ]

My GoPro just stops recording on its own at random times. Most recently at the 17:50 mark. When I checked it, still had 3 hours of battery to go? Is there a setting someplace I'm missing

GoPro

Re: gopro hero 5 stops recording at random times

[ New ]

Hello @joker055. Just to check, does your GoPro camera completely power off after the said period of time? Or does it continue to record, but the media files are segmented into multiple chapters when viewed through the GoPro Quik app (mobile) or SD card drive on your computer?

If this isn't the case, what's the microSD card (brand and capacity) used?

Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez  It did not segment and create multiple smaller files. It just stopped recording and the camera was still on when I checked it. The file it did create was 3.9GB; I'm using a ScanDisk Extreme PLUS 64GB memory that was blank when I started. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @joker055. The Sandisk Extreme is among the recommended cards for the HERO 5 Black. We'd like to further isolate the issue by making sure that the camera is on the latest firmware and that the SD card is clean prior to recording again. 

Please make sure to save all your files first, then format the SD card. Then, perfomr a manual firmware update. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks I'lll give that all a try and hope it works next time I take it out.

GoPro

[ New ]

@joker055, let us know if anything else comes up.

For further reference about long recordings with GoPro cameras, you can check out this article GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information