Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: gopro hero 5 session discontinued? What about support and spare parts?

You just described just about every iPhone ever made. And yet they sell.
Tourist

So far I was able to obtain every part I ever needed to repair my phones when a battery got tired or I smashed a screen. No such luck with my session. The battery is unobtainable and a still perfectly good camera became unusable.

I was able to use my phone for 4 years and I could have used it longer if it wasn't for Sony rendering it nearly useless with a software 'update'.

So your point is?

Nomad

@loyalbluff4636 - Have you tried ebay, alibaba, dx, etc for parts?

After I badly scratched my lens on the Hero4 Black I bought a replacement on ebay.

Espen

Explorer

[ Edited ]

My point is that many devices, iPhone being a very popular one, do not have easily accessible or replaceable batteries. And Yet, people still purchase these devices. Mostly because it usually takes between 500-1500 full charging cycles for these batteries to drop to about an 80% capacity. Even with Full usage on a daily, as in every single day without any days off, you are looking at somewhere from a year and a half to four years to reach this.

And your point is? An Assumption.

You don't know why Session didn't sell well. You made an assumption. Fact is, GoPro actually did do market research, and it wasn't the battery that had people deciding on a different camera. People wanted a rear LCD. Most people do not use their GoPro camera battery to the point where it no longer provides an adequate charge. Many people still have the same battery in their HERO2, HERO3, HERO3+, HERO4,.. cameras for the reason I mentioned above.

My point of this post? To "point" out that you made an assumption, and based on that assumption projected it out as to be relevant and the same opinion as everyone else. Much like you using your experience repairing your phones. Most people do not, so trying to make an argument off of your experience is irrelevant.

This isn't to say that your opinion has no value. It is your opinion and I'm sure there are others who probably share it as well. However, it is just that, an opinion. Not a fact.

Adventurer

@danielr15  The smartphones are   not the best example here but I umnderstand what you're  trying to get across. I  would have used the Hero 7 Whir , Silver and hte other economy models made of GoPro (Smiles).  the battery og gopro sessions are a  Hero 4  black and silver  battery whatever size the mah is 1040mah (guessing) (untill I look at it).   you can   disasseble the camera to pen it up but will not be waterproof 00% after  that, unless you are gopro and have the  parts.

Ebay has a ton and if google you can find a repair shop.

I have used mine and can not kill the session but  H5 session is   faulty..  that may be one of the  reasons why gopro has gave up on the session the returns outweighting the  sales.   gopro simply dropped the line up, and moved forward. things come and they do go.

Tourist

Session was the perfect helmet cam package (in my opinion), ideal for commuting in a city. Most bikers here in London have one, standard GoPro is just to **bleep** big (in my opinion) for a side mounted helmet cam (I use a flip up so chin mount is out of question) and most bike mounts and cases are a pain in the back to dismount as you need to realign them again and if you leave them on they will surely get nicked sooner or later.

Session is small, light and inobtrusive enought to permanently live on my helmet without being really noticable while taking decent footage.

It will be sorely missed.

Adventurer

Oh I totally agree the best small camera, and well guess Runcam II will be running away with the sales.

Tourist

Session 5 faulty?

Don't say that, just bought one to replace my dead session!