Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

gopro hero 5 lcd screen is dead

I have tried the manual update but i can't complete it now the small screen is giving me an exclamation mark all the time making the camera totally useless whereas before the manual update i could use it to take photos and videos even with a dead lcd

Adventurer

Re: gopro hero 5 lcd screen is dead

As this past week  a good number or people came  on with this issue of the screen blanking out?  (!)    format your card and try again.

Hiker

@fishycomics thanks for your help! 

any other solution? as i have tried formatting it many times (i'm using sd card: sandisk extreme 64gb) and re-installed the update folder (from the manual update page)

--> red light keeps blinking and with the exclamation mark (!)

Adventurer

f all is correct and that is what is happening  then the camera has an issue. it  may be best to call gopro.com now.

Hiker

All i got was that the camera is faulty and that the warranty expires after 1 year (bought mine 2 years ago) so they can't send a replacement. (problem could be due to a wrong SD card placement which I noticed to be something very frequent with many threads talking just about this)

Anyway they offered a 25% discount when buying the gopro hero 7 but still not enough when your fairly new camera goes entirely to waste.

Adventurer

Better  then nothing I say?

Yes incorrectly placing the card to teh slot, forcing down and damaging the  ribbon cable, if htis is so, waht do you have to lose by inspecting the camera if Handy to replace back on if the cable slipped out?

or  find a on line repair shop?

Yes  there were  many threads and very few came back to post tehir outcome. and  we must be careful each  time we   place a card in.  Accidents  do happen and can be costly that I am sorry to hear,

Hiker

Of course it's better than nothing, I wouldn't expect "nothing" as a solution from a company as big as GoPro.

However, I never imagined a gopro action cam to be ruined by something this silly especially that those surrounding slots are not even blocked and you can easily insert that SD card in the wrong slot (add to that the frequency of this problem occuring with many users) and I've owned a couple of GoPros before the hero 5 Black so it's not something that can be labeled as noobie mistake. 

I have tried to inspect the cam and see if I can fix it or check an online repair shop but still haven't found any reliable result.

All I'm saying is that since it's a common problem it shouldn't be limited to the 1 year warranty even with the 25% off I still paid a considerable amount for a gopro hero 5 that I have to throw away after 2 years.

(Return On Investment: Not Achieved :P) 

Thanks for your concern though! 

Adventurer

I hear ya.  no matter what we can do GoPro said no ..  And it's common then gopro should own up to it and change otu the camera. but we know again theat won;t happen.