Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

gopro app on moto g6

[ Edited ]

Sorry, posted in wrong area and can't find delete

Does any one know whay the latest version of the GoPro app isn't compatible with the Moto G6 Play? The GoPro support rep dosen't know and sent me to the Play Store. The Play Store dosen't know and sent me to the app developer link in the Play Store. They/automated response sent me back to GoPro contact-us page that I started at.

Moto G(6) Play unlocked 

Android version 9

32gb

128gb SD card

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: gopro app on moto g6

Simply because Android is like the wild wild west of the phone world.

Lets narrow it down to say there are 4 different versions of android currently being supported and used.  Then there's also about 6 generations of phone using those operating systems.  So that's 6 x 4 = 24.  Let's also say that for each of those phones there's certain region differences, hardward requirements (depending on goverment regulations and regionalized distribution).  So lets say for every 24 phones there 10 different regional models.  So that's 24 x 10 = 240.  Now let's take all the different brands of phone into account there's about 20 "top" cell phone manufactuerers out there.  So multiply that 240 x 20 = 4,800 different phones that the GoPro app has to be tuned to work on.  Spread that across the 21 (or so) different camera models that GoPro has that support WiFi and that's 100,800 different setups that the GoPro app has to work on.  This doesn't include tablets, non major brands, or custom made phones or android devices.  It also doesn't include apps that people have on their phone that may interfere with the GoPro app, cause crashes etc.

So that's a heck of an undertaking that GoPro would have to do, a huge investment in time and people.  So GoPro have to go with feedback from customers as to what phones they are using, which version of android they are using and prioritize the most popular phone brands, regions and models.  

Once those phones are taken care of, then they move onto the next round of phones etc.  So while youre phone may not be supported yet, that doesn't mean they aren't working on it.

When I first got my GoPro Fusion I was annoyed because it wasn't compatible with my Galaxy S3 tablet (that was over a year ago).  With the brand new version of the app released a week or so back, now my Fusion works on the Galaxy S3.  So yes, it took a while, but they got there in the end.

Hope this helps explain the complicated nature of getting the App to work on Android phones.  

Highlighted
Tourist

I had the app on my phone before and had all my cameras paired, but I had to wipe the phone for a warranty repair (no sound to the speakers.) Now I can't install the app. The GoPro rep said it was a Play Store issue.

The app used to support my phone, and now it doesn't. Before I try getting a different phone or cheap tablet I need to know what the issue is so I don't repeat the problem

Highlighted
Nomad

It's more than likely then you're running an older version of Android on your phone.

Google has odd rules about the apps they allow in their store.  With the GoPro app, it had to be updated to allow it to be used with the latest version of Android.  However once this happens, Google doesn't allow the app to be listed in stores for older versions of Android.  It's a Google issue, not a GoPro issue.

If you don't want to upgrade your phone you can always look for an older version of the GoPro App APK file online and install it on your phone.  You'll want to make sure you get it from a reputable site though.