Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

gopro 8 wont power external and record

My GoPro 8 black will charge, it will record. But when recording it will not take pwoer from the USB. I read somewhere that it will not charge the bat and use external power but mine wont record and take external power. I even saw a YouTube video where the guy plugs USB in with no batt and it records. Mine will reboot if there is no batt and record is hit. This is frustrating since it limits my shoots to one battary capacity instead of the card capacity. Please help. Thank you

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: gopro 8 wont power external and record

Hello @alerttree3218. You can use the USB-C cable that came with your HERO8 Black to shoot videos and photos while your camera is plugged into a USB-charging adapter, the GoPro Supercharger, another GoPro charger, or the GoPro Portable Power Pack. This is perfect for capturing long videos and time-lapse events. 

Even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while your camera is plugged into a computer. 

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for your response. What you describe is what I expect but that is not what happens. When I plug in the USB the lightning bolt shows on the bat icon. I hit record and the lighting bolt goes away and the bat is depleted instead of using USB power. I watched a video on YouTube where the bat is removed and the camera continues to operate. Mine will stay powered without the bat on USB but I hit record and it powers down and reboots. Is the camera defective? Is there a firmware issue? I have 01.60 loaded. 

Highlighted
GoPro

@alerttree3218, what's the power source used? If using an external power source like a power bank, do you get the same results if you directly connect the camera (without a battery) to a wall plug with 5V 2A output)

Highlighted
Hiker

Same results if a power pack is used or a wall adapter. No love. What is strange is that the camera is seeing power from the cord but decides not to use it when recording.

Highlighted
GoPro

@alerttree3218, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Highlighted
Hiker

thank so much. I will try this and let you know.

Highlighted
Tourist

This also happens with my camera. When plugged into a 2A power supply or battery bank while recording, the battery eventually depletes and camera shuts down.