Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: gopro 8 wont power external and record

Thank you all for your responses. I have been too busy to respond. I have been out filming. Here are the results of what I have found. First a bit more background: Some where I read, I am not sure where, that when using an external power source that removing the battary was not required. I believe this was in an official GoPro document. It stated that once recording the battary will not charge and record with external power. This has worked for me for a few months. In fact a few days before I posted I was able to power the camera for 4 hours, with the battary installed, and record whilst connected to a LIPO battary that was putting out 16vdc. This was going into a disected car cigarette charger that converts 12vdc to 5vdc. I have no idea what the amp rating of that device is. Regardless, it has worked for me for a few months. Then the next one day; no love. I was using the same equipment and wires. For my lap testing, I managed to dig up a few 12vdc and 120vac to 5vdc converters that I knew the amp rating of. You are correct. If the rating is less than 2amps it will not record for longer than battary capacity. If the converter is rated above 2amps, it will record until the cows come home. I suspect that my converter got tired and old and dropped below 2amps and no longer wanted to play. In both sets of tests the battary being installed had no impact. When I redid the tests without the battary installed, above 2amps and record away. Less than 2amps and it reboots. One of the reasons that I am fussing about all of this is that I want the battery installed in case there is a short interuption in external power. If the source is 120vac, then a thunderstorm or power blip will stop recording if there is no battary installed. In the field when powering off a LIPO that concern is not a biggie. Bottom line is that the battary does not need to be removed but the power supply does need to be better than 2amps. If the battary is installed and the external source is lost or dies then I have 40 to 60 minutes of GoPro battary power to keep recording. Again thanks for all of your help and ideas. I hope this helps others too.

PS: I found this in the manual:

RECORDING WHEN PLUGGED INTO A POWER SOURCE
You can use the USB-C cable that came with your HERO8 Black to shoot
videos and photos while your camera is plugged in to a USB-charging
adapter, the GoPro Supercharger, another GoPro charger, or the
GoPro Portable Power Pack. This is perfect for capturing long videos
and time lapse events.
Even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during
recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot
record while your camera is plugged into a computer.

Highlighted
Hiker

Oops, Lab not lap testing. 

Highlighted
Nomad

Excellent write up with some really good documented findings, well done on that!

Highlighted
Hiker

To solve the low amps problem I bought two of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBCGAL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At $10 a pop they are not too bad in price. Sealed units. So far I like them. I wired one to the car and have a USB cable fed out the front grill and into an old Advil pill bottle with the hole in the top siliconed and a few inches of cabble coiled up to stay dry and corrosion free when not in use. This way when I do long drives I can get time lapse without stopping every 45 minutes to change the battery. The other is soldered to a connector so I can plug in a LIPO battery and do all day shoots in the field.

An interesting side note; when I first managed to get the camera to run longer than the internal battery life, it recorded for several hours but only recorded sound. The files were named in this format; GX300013.MP4. No video but the computer recognized them as a video file. Strange. I scanned through all of the documentation I could find but found no reference to being able to record only sound. I must have fumble fingered a setting when powering the thing up.

Also I do notice that when changing formats, like 30 FPS or 60 FPS the file naming sequence changes slightly. I cant seem to find that documented either. Has anyone come across that information?

Now on the other dragon to slay; HEAT! I have a very small 12V fan blowing across an ice cube, theroetically blowing cool air onto the camera. HA, let's see if that works on a hot day.

Again, thank you for all of the help.

Happy shooting.

Highlighted
Nomad

One of the files is in hevc format, thats why the file name changes. VLC Player should handle it, you can also convert using hanbrake.