Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

gopro 8 wont power external and record

[ New ]

My GoPro 8 black will charge, it will record. But when recording it will not take pwoer from the USB. I read somewhere that it will not charge the bat and use external power but mine wont record and take external power. I even saw a YouTube video where the guy plugs USB in with no batt and it records. Mine will reboot if there is no batt and record is hit. This is frustrating since it limits my shoots to one battary capacity instead of the card capacity. Please help. Thank you

GoPro

Re: gopro 8 wont power external and record

[ New ]

Hello @hairball365. You can use the USB-C cable that came with your HERO8 Black to shoot videos and photos while your camera is plugged into a USB-charging adapter, the GoPro Supercharger, another GoPro charger, or the GoPro Portable Power Pack. This is perfect for capturing long videos and time-lapse events. 

Even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while your camera is plugged into a computer. 

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for your response. What you describe is what I expect but that is not what happens. When I plug in the USB the lightning bolt shows on the bat icon. I hit record and the lighting bolt goes away and the bat is depleted instead of using USB power. I watched a video on YouTube where the bat is removed and the camera continues to operate. Mine will stay powered without the bat on USB but I hit record and it powers down and reboots. Is the camera defective? Is there a firmware issue? I have 01.60 loaded. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@hairball365, what's the power source used? If using an external power source like a power bank, do you get the same results if you directly connect the camera (without a battery) to a wall plug with 5V 2A output)

Hiker

[ New ]

Same results if a power pack is used or a wall adapter. No love. What is strange is that the camera is seeing power from the cord but decides not to use it when recording.

GoPro

[ New ]

@hairball365, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Hiker

[ New ]

thank so much. I will try this and let you know.

Tourist

[ New ]

This also happens with my camera. When plugged into a 2A power supply or battery bank while recording, the battery eventually depletes and camera shuts down. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

As was pointed out several times in this thread, if you are using an external power supply, you need to remove the internal battery first.  If you do not do this your GoPro will use the internal battery for power until the internal battery depletes.  Once the battery depletes your GoPro will shut down and then start charging from an external power source.

So if you are using an external power source for your camera, remove the internal battery first.

Also if you are using an external power source, it needs to be a 5V 2A power supply and you need to use a USB cable less than 15FT in length.  Even at 15ft you may experience power issues due to impedence caused by cable quality.  Remember, not all cables are created equal.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for the reply. The original poster said he/she had seen a YouTube video of someone using the camera plugged in without the battery, but that it wasn’t working in this case. To wit: “ Mine will stay powered without the bat on USB but I hit record and it powers down and reboots.“

Mine exhibits the same behaviour, which is why I wrote what I wrote. Also, it is not pointed out several times in the thread that you must remove the battery. There is one repeated anecdote.

And yes, I’m using a sufficient amperage PSU or pack with good cables.
Backpacker

[ New ]

Five times it was mentioned operating the camera without a battery in when connected to an external power source.  To Wit:  figure out why it was mentioned several times....

Your GoPro resetting when you hit record is unusual behaviour.  Can you answer the following questions:

What length USB cable are you using?

What power supply are you using?  (wall charger, PC usb port, USB hub)

What SD card are you using.?

Have you formatted the SD card in your camera before use?

Have you tried manually updating the firmware of your camera first?

Tourist

[ New ]

"Five times it was mentioned operating the camera without a battery in when connected to an external power source.  To Wit:  figure out why it was mentioned several times..."

Huh. That's weird. I only see the three mentions before my post. A couple "I saw on YouTube..." references by the OP and one non-instruction question.Pretty consistent with my previous post. No pointings out that you must remove the battery before you posted. But whatever, yes, I understand that's the consensus and have tried with battery in and out. 

1. "I even saw a YouTube video where the guy plugs USB in with no batt and it records."

2. "I watched a video on YouTube where the bat is removed and the camera continues to operate."

3. "do you get the same results if you directly connect the camera (without a battery)"

"Your GoPro resetting when you hit record is unusual behaviour.  Can you answer the following questions:"

Yes, is unusual. One GP8 does this, another works fine when plugged in. But also this GP8 will get recognized by the Quik app, but not read/transfer any media through USB. I figure it's just defective. 

"What length USB cable are you using?"

Usually the ~20" USB-A<>C Cable that came with GoPro. Tried with others, nothing out of spec long. 

"What power supply are you using?  (wall charger, PC usb port, USB hub)"

Variety. 8,000-16,000 mAh @ 2A LiPo packs, Apple 61W USB-C charger, Levitron wall plates, Apple 12W iPad charger....

"What SD card are you using?"

SansDisk Extreme 32, 63, 128. 

"Have you formatted the SD card in your camera before use?"

They usually get formatted before the start of any project. 

"Have you tried manually updating the firmware of your camera first?"

Yes, and is latest. Same version as other GP8. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Despite all the tips, I use my Hero8 in the car like a dash cam. A USB quick charging cable (approved for 3A) with a length of 3m on a USB car adapter that also delivers 3A. With and without internal battery, every recording works since firmware 1.7. Only if the battery remains in the camera will the camera get quite warm ...

Backpacker

[ New ]

I would say at this point you've done everything correctly (but count how many times removing the internal battery was mentioned.... Smiley Tongue  )   

At this point it could be that your GoPro is faulty.

I have only ever read one case on here where someone had a similar issue when trying to record with their GoPro plugged into an external power supply and the camera kept shutting down.  They also tried multiple cables, formatting SD cards, reloading firmware etc...  nothing worked.  However it turned out that the power supply he was using was actually kicking out too much power.  He replaced it with a proper 5W 2A charger and the problem was solved (he had been using the 12V socket on his motorbike which measured a 3A output at most).  Once he did the swap, no more issues.

I would ask GoPro for a replacement if you believe your power sources are within spec for use with your GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

(but count how many times removing the internal battery was mentioned.... Smiley Tongue  )   

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pretty sure I did, and catalogued them for you, but maybe you see more posts than I do. 

I would have GP replace it if they ever resolved their support. It's been an open ticket for 3+ months. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

I see that aenriquez has chimed in here several times asking questions and asking you to let him know how his suggestions went.  He should be able to use that information to update your support ticket.  Providing there's no change in the status of your camera and it's still resetting, most likely he would ask you to use the "Contact us" option at the bottom of the page, enter your details and phone number for a call back.

It's annoying to have to go through the process of "have you replaced the SD cards, have you performed a manual update, have you performed a factory reset... etc" but is has to be done to ensure the customer has tried some very basic trouble shooting.  If you explain that you've tried these things and your camera still isn't working, they should issue you an RMA.  If they don't, request an RMA.  It sounds like you're not expecting anything other than the camera to perform as it should.  

Good luck and I would suggest using this same thread to keep people updated as to how your support case goes.  

After reading these forums for quite sometime, I assure you, I see all sorts of things............  whether or not they are all really there ........ is a question for a well trained patient psychiatrist at this point...

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you all for your responses. I have been too busy to respond. I have been out filming. Here are the results of what I have found. First a bit more background: Some where I read, I am not sure where, that when using an external power source that removing the battary was not required. I believe this was in an official GoPro document. It stated that once recording the battary will not charge and record with external power. This has worked for me for a few months. In fact a few days before I posted I was able to power the camera for 4 hours, with the battary installed, and record whilst connected to a LIPO battary that was putting out 16vdc. This was going into a disected car cigarette charger that converts 12vdc to 5vdc. I have no idea what the amp rating of that device is. Regardless, it has worked for me for a few months. Then the next one day; no love. I was using the same equipment and wires. For my lap testing, I managed to dig up a few 12vdc and 120vac to 5vdc converters that I knew the amp rating of. You are correct. If the rating is less than 2amps it will not record for longer than battary capacity. If the converter is rated above 2amps, it will record until the cows come home. I suspect that my converter got tired and old and dropped below 2amps and no longer wanted to play. In both sets of tests the battary being installed had no impact. When I redid the tests without the battary installed, above 2amps and record away. Less than 2amps and it reboots. One of the reasons that I am fussing about all of this is that I want the battery installed in case there is a short interuption in external power. If the source is 120vac, then a thunderstorm or power blip will stop recording if there is no battary installed. In the field when powering off a LIPO that concern is not a biggie. Bottom line is that the battary does not need to be removed but the power supply does need to be better than 2amps. If the battary is installed and the external source is lost or dies then I have 40 to 60 minutes of GoPro battary power to keep recording. Again thanks for all of your help and ideas. I hope this helps others too.

PS: I found this in the manual:

RECORDING WHEN PLUGGED INTO A POWER SOURCE
You can use the USB-C cable that came with your HERO8 Black to shoot
videos and photos while your camera is plugged in to a USB-charging
adapter, the GoPro Supercharger, another GoPro charger, or the
GoPro Portable Power Pack. This is perfect for capturing long videos
and time lapse events.
Even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during
recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot
record while your camera is plugged into a computer.

Hiker

[ New ]

Oops, Lab not lap testing. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Excellent write up with some really good documented findings, well done on that!

Hiker

[ New ]

To solve the low amps problem I bought two of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBCGAL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At $10 a pop they are not too bad in price. Sealed units. So far I like them. I wired one to the car and have a USB cable fed out the front grill and into an old Advil pill bottle with the hole in the top siliconed and a few inches of cabble coiled up to stay dry and corrosion free when not in use. This way when I do long drives I can get time lapse without stopping every 45 minutes to change the battery. The other is soldered to a connector so I can plug in a LIPO battery and do all day shoots in the field.

An interesting side note; when I first managed to get the camera to run longer than the internal battery life, it recorded for several hours but only recorded sound. The files were named in this format; GX300013.MP4. No video but the computer recognized them as a video file. Strange. I scanned through all of the documentation I could find but found no reference to being able to record only sound. I must have fumble fingered a setting when powering the thing up.

Also I do notice that when changing formats, like 30 FPS or 60 FPS the file naming sequence changes slightly. I cant seem to find that documented either. Has anyone come across that information?

Now on the other dragon to slay; HEAT! I have a very small 12V fan blowing across an ice cube, theroetically blowing cool air onto the camera. HA, let's see if that works on a hot day.

Again, thank you for all of the help.

Happy shooting.

Backpacker

[ New ]
One of the files is in hevc format, thats why the file name changes. VLC Player should handle it, you can also convert using hanbrake.