Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: gopro 8 wont power external and record

As was pointed out several times in this thread, if you are using an external power supply, you need to remove the internal battery first.  If you do not do this your GoPro will use the internal battery for power until the internal battery depletes.  Once the battery depletes your GoPro will shut down and then start charging from an external power source.

So if you are using an external power source for your camera, remove the internal battery first.

Also if you are using an external power source, it needs to be a 5V 2A power supply and you need to use a USB cable less than 15FT in length.  Even at 15ft you may experience power issues due to impedence caused by cable quality.  Remember, not all cables are created equal.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the reply. The original poster said he/she had seen a YouTube video of someone using the camera plugged in without the battery, but that it wasn’t working in this case. To wit: “ Mine will stay powered without the bat on USB but I hit record and it powers down and reboots.“

Mine exhibits the same behaviour, which is why I wrote what I wrote. Also, it is not pointed out several times in the thread that you must remove the battery. There is one repeated anecdote.

And yes, I’m using a sufficient amperage PSU or pack with good cables.
Highlighted
Nomad

Five times it was mentioned operating the camera without a battery in when connected to an external power source.  To Wit:  figure out why it was mentioned several times....

Your GoPro resetting when you hit record is unusual behaviour.  Can you answer the following questions:

What length USB cable are you using?

What power supply are you using?  (wall charger, PC usb port, USB hub)

What SD card are you using.?

Have you formatted the SD card in your camera before use?

Have you tried manually updating the firmware of your camera first?

Highlighted
Tourist

"Five times it was mentioned operating the camera without a battery in when connected to an external power source.  To Wit:  figure out why it was mentioned several times..."

Huh. That's weird. I only see the three mentions before my post. A couple "I saw on YouTube..." references by the OP and one non-instruction question.Pretty consistent with my previous post. No pointings out that you must remove the battery before you posted. But whatever, yes, I understand that's the consensus and have tried with battery in and out. 

1. "I even saw a YouTube video where the guy plugs USB in with no batt and it records."

2. "I watched a video on YouTube where the bat is removed and the camera continues to operate."

3. "do you get the same results if you directly connect the camera (without a battery)"

"Your GoPro resetting when you hit record is unusual behaviour.  Can you answer the following questions:"

Yes, is unusual. One GP8 does this, another works fine when plugged in. But also this GP8 will get recognized by the Quik app, but not read/transfer any media through USB. I figure it's just defective. 

"What length USB cable are you using?"

Usually the ~20" USB-A<>C Cable that came with GoPro. Tried with others, nothing out of spec long. 

"What power supply are you using?  (wall charger, PC usb port, USB hub)"

Variety. 8,000-16,000 mAh @ 2A LiPo packs, Apple 61W USB-C charger, Levitron wall plates, Apple 12W iPad charger....

"What SD card are you using?"

SansDisk Extreme 32, 63, 128. 

"Have you formatted the SD card in your camera before use?"

They usually get formatted before the start of any project. 

"Have you tried manually updating the firmware of your camera first?"

Yes, and is latest. Same version as other GP8. 

Highlighted
Nomad

Despite all the tips, I use my Hero8 in the car like a dash cam. A USB quick charging cable (approved for 3A) with a length of 3m on a USB car adapter that also delivers 3A. With and without internal battery, every recording works since firmware 1.7. Only if the battery remains in the camera will the camera get quite warm ...

Highlighted
Nomad

I would say at this point you've done everything correctly (but count how many times removing the internal battery was mentioned.... Smiley Tongue  )   

At this point it could be that your GoPro is faulty.

I have only ever read one case on here where someone had a similar issue when trying to record with their GoPro plugged into an external power supply and the camera kept shutting down.  They also tried multiple cables, formatting SD cards, reloading firmware etc...  nothing worked.  However it turned out that the power supply he was using was actually kicking out too much power.  He replaced it with a proper 5W 2A charger and the problem was solved (he had been using the 12V socket on his motorbike which measured a 3A output at most).  Once he did the swap, no more issues.

I would ask GoPro for a replacement if you believe your power sources are within spec for use with your GoPro.

Highlighted
Tourist

(but count how many times removing the internal battery was mentioned.... Smiley Tongue  )   

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pretty sure I did, and catalogued them for you, but maybe you see more posts than I do. 

I would have GP replace it if they ever resolved their support. It's been an open ticket for 3+ months. 

Highlighted
Nomad

I see that aenriquez has chimed in here several times asking questions and asking you to let him know how his suggestions went.  He should be able to use that information to update your support ticket.  Providing there's no change in the status of your camera and it's still resetting, most likely he would ask you to use the "Contact us" option at the bottom of the page, enter your details and phone number for a call back.

It's annoying to have to go through the process of "have you replaced the SD cards, have you performed a manual update, have you performed a factory reset... etc" but is has to be done to ensure the customer has tried some very basic trouble shooting.  If you explain that you've tried these things and your camera still isn't working, they should issue you an RMA.  If they don't, request an RMA.  It sounds like you're not expecting anything other than the camera to perform as it should.  

Good luck and I would suggest using this same thread to keep people updated as to how your support case goes.  

After reading these forums for quite sometime, I assure you, I see all sorts of things............  whether or not they are all really there ........ is a question for a well trained patient psychiatrist at this point...