Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

gopro 7 silver audio sync

[ New ]

Hi,

I have recently begun editing videos that I filmed of a podcast using myGoPro Hero 7 Silver. I filmed the podcast on 2 cameras at the same time, my older GoPro Hero 5 & my GoPro Hero 7 Silver. I recorded audio on an external microphone too. 

When editing in FinalCutPro X the external mic audio syncs up perfectly with my GoPro Hero 5 but it goes way out of time on my newer GoPro Hero 7 Silver. As this is a podcast, I can't have videos with audio so delayed. 

I believe many people are experiencing this problem with the GoPro Hero 7 Silver, and that it's due to the video stabilisation feature. 

I know that the GoPro Hero 7 Silver is an action camera & that's why it has the video stabilisation feature, and it seems that you can't actually turn video stabilisation off with this model. It's very dissapointing that video stabilisation is causing the audio sync issues, and that it can't be turned off.

I have updated the camera to the newest firmware and still the problem persists. The recording settings are exactly the same on my GoPro Hero 5 (which works perfectly) & my GoPro Hero 7 Silver, so it's not the recording settings.

Has anyone managed to work out if you can change speed up or slow down the videos from the GoPro Hero 7 Silver so that the audio is in real time? And by how much should you speed it up/slow it down.

Please help.

Hiker

Re: gopro 7 silver audio sync

[ New ]

Note:  I have two Hero7 Black camerars.  And I've been shooting videos at 2.7k 60fps hypersmooth just fine and synchronizing them with externally recorded audio....until now, which is why I'm trying to find a fix on this forum.  So, I don't think this is a "silver" only issue.  Let me explain.

Until yesterday, I shot using both Hero7 Blacks on internal battery power.  I would shoot untilt he batteries ran out, reinstall batteries, and sync clap and repeat.  I shoot kayak fishing videos.  Everything worked (no audio sync issues), but in an effort to try to reduce the amount of work I do in post, I switched both gopros to external battery power....and after a 4 hour session I ran into three issues, one of which is the one you mention in your post.  Here are all three issues, just to be complete:

I'll continue to look for the other two problems elsewhere, but the three issues I ran into were:

1. Press quick start record didn't seem to have an effect.  Multiple presses and it worked
  2. Audio on one of my Hero7 Black cameras didn't capture at all, which of course ruined everything as it's impossible to synchronize the footage with my other Hero7 Black without scratch audio.
  3. The worst problem is that 4 hours of recording synchronized with an external audio device drifts.  Which is to say it's perfectly synchronized at the beginning and over an hour or two into the footage it no longer synchronizes.  This is debilitating.  I never had this issue when I was running on internal batteries...but I had to synchronize a ton of independent clips that way.  The external battery was meant to have long running captures that you only had to synchronize once. (same issue as this post)

I learned from this post that it might be the hypersmooth feature?  I'm searching but I can't find anything that mentions that issue.  I'll keep hunting as this is absolutely horrific.  I'd hate to go back to battery powered, shorter clips, with more post work in order to fix this!  I'm trying to capture new angles that would make changing batteries a lot more difficult.

Any solution?

Hiker

Re: gopro 7 silver audio sync

[ New ]