Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

gopro 6 firmware update to gopro 7

Hello,

I bought an Hero 6 Black in April, and 5 month later the Hero 7 is here. It seems that the hardware is the same and only the software has been updated. Is there a way to update the Hero 6 with the Hero 7 software ? I am ready to pay this update if I can get same sofware on my camera.

Adventurer

Re: gopro 6 firmware update to gopro 7

No, hardware is similar but not the same. One important change is an increase in RAM. without the extra RAM, the HERO6 is unable to perform the same functions and stabilization. There is a rumour that the HERO6 might be getting an update, but even if it does, it's physically impossible for the HERO6 to match the performance of the HERO7 Black.
Hiker

It would be nice to a least have the new look user interface if not the 7 functionality.

Adventurer

We’ll offer this feedback to gopro
Tourist

It would be nice if the new firmware for Hero 6 had the same functionality as Hero 7 - choose the compression method.

"With HERO7 Black, you also have the option of recording the following settings using either HEVC or H.264 codecs."

HEVC Explained

Adventurer

I personally find the H6B interface a touch better to  set things up and as well offer information correctly to the camera, so for me I will not update and kep the new interface, but love the  idea if they can get Timewarp into the camera. as Hypersmooth is more a  personal liking for me I do not like seeing theflare bouncing all over while the video is smoothed.

Tourist

Do we know if there will be a software update to Hero 6? It would be very good to get the latest software that Gopro have engineered. The last update was a year ago.
GoPro

Hi @swiftjump1464

We do not have information on this.

Please continue to check our website for updates.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Software-Update-Release-Information

Thanks!

Ej