Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: gopro 6 firmware update to gopro 7

@robindean - "Zoom during video recording - electronic or optical - means that you can alter the angle of view during the actual recording process. -  Yes you can do this with the hero 7, possibly others."

Show me how.

Hiker

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@danielr15

What is your point? That american companies only uses their user collected data for "good purposes" whereas DJI is an evil chinese empire? At least DJI makes money selling drones and cameras. :-p

We shall return to this discussion after GoPro is sold to DJI, Xiaomi, Canon or whatever in january...

If that were only true - chinese vs american, However the the lack of transparecy from DJI is shocking.

Hiker

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@robindean - "Zoom during video recording - electronic or optical - means that you can alter the angle of view during the actual recording process. -  Yes you can do this with the hero 7, possibly others."

Show me how.

Already did, look up about a dozen posts.

Adventurer

@robindean

First, as is already blatantly obvious, @agilestoke40735 is a troll (boy I hope I don't have to define that for him as well).

Second, the point he is getting hung up on is being able to enlarge the image while recording.  While yes, this is a form of zooming, it is not, by definition (not mine, but the actual literal definition) zoom. Definition provided in my original reply if you are curious.

So, to be clear, GoPro Hero7 Black does have Zoom.  Osmo Pocket does not.

Regardless, @agilestoke40735 has no purpose but to try and engage you into going down his rabbit hole of GoPro bad, everyone else Good.  He is still very upset at the success of Hero7 (you might want to look up his previous post at launch).  One of my favorite points he tried to make was the instance that EIS stabilization suffers from the same bounding up and down sea sick motion of michanical gimbals w...  And yet,, it doesn't.  Not only that, if you watch enough of these Osmo Pocket vs GoPro Hero7 black videos, you will see time and time again where the HERO7 not only matches, but exceeds the smooth stabilization (especially when walking).

It's pointless to engage in discussions with him because he simply doesn't listen, will distort what you say, and then resort to childish name calling.   Best to just put him on your ignore list.  I have, and it's been great.  Of course, he mostly only was active to bash GoPro during the launch, he does still pop up every now and then.  Sometimes he's actually helpful, believe it or not.

Adventurer

LOl.  casey, Iphonde  Lol

As for the Zoom. I am learning to not use it anymore.   Only  then when I have my Hero 4 black with me i can compare it.

DJI Osmo Pocket gonna have to try that  link a Url to  the people thattaken the post down.

Adventurer

Applying a very slight zoom improves the Hypersmooth stabilization even more. Not really needed most of the time, but if you are doing an activity where you want a little more stabilization, you should use it.

As far as everyday use, I wasn't using it figuring I'd just do it in post, but I've come to really enjoy the automatic video creation of Quik Stories so I've been using it more. I'm really impressed at how much it retains details. I have no hesitation in using the Zoom feature in the HERO7 Black. It definitely comes in handy.
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

A Pro Tip use a little zoom to improve HS.  excellent to hear Dan.  For the Troll  you're using or know this is An AMerican Company a Chinese camera. is not DJI in thesme ways the same.   I feel Zoom while recording will not come to gopro, while Dual recording one day will but is under another chip?    Wait am I  going to get   a free Kuddle. thank you ..

I can not see using zoom on a Gimbal I can see using angle on a gimbal Imagine when you zoom in on a Point-n-shoot 30 Optical zoom and even more and try to track that bird.  so in order for-  I stopped because I'll let th Trroll answerfor all of us. gonna go use my gopro Hero 7 Black and do some wasted video.

Snapshot 1.jpg

Snapshot 1.jpg

I was trying to read the license plate ahead (sarcasm)

Nomad

@danielr15 - "Applying a very slight zoom improves the Hypersmooth stabilization even more"

Applying an even bigger CROP factor improves the EIS. That is of course not a big surprise.

Take a look at the recent GoPro marketing tidbit on Hypersmooth:

https://gopro.com/news/hero7-black-hypersmooth-technology

Not a single word about the fallacies of the system if you use longer shutter speeds (ND filters anyone?) or you are in a less than daylight lit environment. Afaik I have not seen a single marketing statement from GoPro which actually tells it like it is: Hypersmooth ONLY WORKS IN DAYLIGHT. Period.