Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: gopro 6 firmware update to gopro 7

GoPro needs to offer Info about the Hero 6 black if the firmware has  matured and ended. did this mature and End, will you find out that info or  not gopro? I lean to the NOT side. with gopro answering it.

Explorer

I don't understand. Why does GoPro "Need" to offer if the HERO6 Black firmware has "matured and ended"?

I'm not asking to be argumentative, I just don't understand this need for GoPro to take a definitive stance on this. The HERO4 was pretty much done with firmware updates, but with Karma coming out, GoPro decided to make it an option for use with the drone/Grip so they released a late update. However, it certainly wasn't expected as the camera firmware had matured.

Of course, when talking about things like computer operating systems or phones, then it is important to know when updates have ended as updates include security and app compliance. GoPro cameras are closed systems though, so if they released a camera and never released one update for it, they are under no obligation.

Unless GoPro is releasing a new software or hardware that needs a firmware update, I think it's safe to assume that the HERO6 will not be getting any future updates. However, they might if they think such an update will improve sell through and they have a back inventory.

As it is, assume that an update to the HERO6 is not coming. This way you can be pleasantly surprised if they do, but not disappointed if they don't. As far as making a statement as to whether or not they have concluded all updates, there really isn't any good reason for it. If the answer is that they will not be doing anymore updates, then this could hurt sales of HERO6 currently on some stores shelves. If they say that there will, or even that there might, be a future update, then they are creating an expectation that they might never get around to, thus hurting customer loyalty and brand image.

So with that, I will agree with you on this, "I lean to the NOT side. with gopro answering it." It just doesn't make much sense.
Hiker

@fishycomics wrote:

GoPro needs to offer Info about the Hero 6 black if the firmware has  matured and ended. did this mature and End, will you find out that info or  not gopro?

Why do they. ?

You said you were not interested in updating, just saying.

Adventurer

[ Edited ]

If that was th Key word I used "GoPro needs to offer Info about the Hero 6 black if the firmware has  matured and ended. did this mature and End, will you find out that info or  not gopro? I lean to the NOT side. with gopro answering it.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) (thoughts out loud) ( how I think)   I said matured . of my opinion right or wrong...

GoPro has pulled the Hero 5 no longer sells but can be had at your local stores.  see photo below? Untitled.png

And the hero 6 Black  $350  also found online as low as $20-30.00 off that.  And not able to find at a Official GoPro Site.

Untitled.png

Love to see never ending firmware. love to see these issues we all have gopro to put a technician on it and simply email over the  firmware fix person to person.  GoPro matured their camera and they move on. mature is how I say after all firmware made and can no longer advance.  no one in here. you, me, others, and the gopro team. No one knows. why its my take, my opinion  thoughts out loud, if I had the facts I post it. but since I stated matured hang me high for it.    

Not insulted have to agree  GoPro you're here.  You're listening. your say.

ears are open  we the world want to know is there going to be a release and date for  the Hero 6 Black  and a new Interface?

post below

((SMILES))

Hiker

I noticed one of my local shops was still selling the GP6 for full retail 2 weeks ago.

Explorer

Stores haven't stopped selling the older models. If they have them still in stock, of course they will sell them. When I mentioned sell through above, that is what it refers to.

@fishycomics Your use of the word matured wasn't what I was questioning. You used it correctly. My point is, why would, or should, GoPro definitively say yes or no to future updates? You said they "need" to provide this information. No they don't.

Not only do I disagree, I think it would be foolish for them to do so, for the reasons I already stated.

I did hear rumors about a month ago that they were thinking of updating the HERO6 to have the same menu interface, but it's really debatable if that is a smart move as well. For people like me who became accustomed to the HERO5 and HERO6 menu, the HERO7 menu doesn't always feel like an improvement.

However, if they do, they do. Updating is always a choice. Just like it's their choice to offer an update or not. Again, I don't think they will, but it still remains a possibility. Heck, maybe they'll release an update to the HERO2 while their at it!
Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Well either we all are going to be on the right page  with the latest and greatest, if that is thr option If you kept or moved on.   the bottom line is: 

Are you happy yes great.  No.   I'll leave that blank 

@robindean   yeah I see  aselect few. Costco has it but not as  low as  posted.  Lol

FISH

Hiker

Moved on to the hero 7 black now as I managed to get one at a good price.