Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

gopro 6 firmware update to gopro 7

[ New ]

Hello,

I bought an Hero 6 Black in April, and 5 month later the Hero 7 is here. It seems that the hardware is the same and only the software has been updated. Is there a way to update the Hero 6 with the Hero 7 software ? I am ready to pay this update if I can get same sofware on my camera.

Explorer

Re: gopro 6 firmware update to gopro 7

[ New ]
No, hardware is similar but not the same. One important change is an increase in RAM. without the extra RAM, the HERO6 is unable to perform the same functions and stabilization. There is a rumour that the HERO6 might be getting an update, but even if it does, it's physically impossible for the HERO6 to match the performance of the HERO7 Black.
Nomad

[ New ]

It would be nice to a least have the new look user interface if not the 7 functionality.

Adventurer

[ New ]
We’ll offer this feedback to gopro
Tourist

[ New ]

It would be nice if the new firmware for Hero 6 had the same functionality as Hero 7 - choose the compression method.

"With HERO7 Black, you also have the option of recording the following settings using either HEVC or H.264 codecs."

HEVC Explained

Adventurer

[ New ]

I personally find the H6B interface a touch better to  set things up and as well offer information correctly to the camera, so for me I will not update and kep the new interface, but love the  idea if they can get Timewarp into the camera. as Hypersmooth is more a  personal liking for me I do not like seeing theflare bouncing all over while the video is smoothed.

Tourist

[ New ]
Do we know if there will be a software update to Hero 6? It would be very good to get the latest software that Gopro have engineered. The last update was a year ago.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @swiftjump1464

We do not have information on this.

Please continue to check our website for updates.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Software-Update-Release-Information

Thanks!

Ej

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro needs to offer Info about the Hero 6 black if the firmware has  matured and ended. did this mature and End, will you find out that info or  not gopro? I lean to the NOT side. with gopro answering it.

Explorer

[ New ]
I don't understand. Why does GoPro "Need" to offer if the HERO6 Black firmware has "matured and ended"?

I'm not asking to be argumentative, I just don't understand this need for GoPro to take a definitive stance on this. The HERO4 was pretty much done with firmware updates, but with Karma coming out, GoPro decided to make it an option for use with the drone/Grip so they released a late update. However, it certainly wasn't expected as the camera firmware had matured.

Of course, when talking about things like computer operating systems or phones, then it is important to know when updates have ended as updates include security and app compliance. GoPro cameras are closed systems though, so if they released a camera and never released one update for it, they are under no obligation.

Unless GoPro is releasing a new software or hardware that needs a firmware update, I think it's safe to assume that the HERO6 will not be getting any future updates. However, they might if they think such an update will improve sell through and they have a back inventory.

As it is, assume that an update to the HERO6 is not coming. This way you can be pleasantly surprised if they do, but not disappointed if they don't. As far as making a statement as to whether or not they have concluded all updates, there really isn't any good reason for it. If the answer is that they will not be doing anymore updates, then this could hurt sales of HERO6 currently on some stores shelves. If they say that there will, or even that there might, be a future update, then they are creating an expectation that they might never get around to, thus hurting customer loyalty and brand image.

So with that, I will agree with you on this, "I lean to the NOT side. with gopro answering it." It just doesn't make much sense.
Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

GoPro needs to offer Info about the Hero 6 black if the firmware has  matured and ended. did this mature and End, will you find out that info or  not gopro?

Why do they. ?

You said you were not interested in updating, just saying.

Adventurer

[ New ]

If that was th Key word I used "GoPro needs to offer Info about the Hero 6 black if the firmware has  matured and ended. did this mature and End, will you find out that info or  not gopro? I lean to the NOT side. with gopro answering it.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) (thoughts out loud) ( how I think)   I said matured . of my opinion right or wrong...

GoPro has pulled the Hero 5 no longer sells but can be had at your local stores.  see photo below? Untitled.png

And the hero 6 Black  $350  also found online as low as $20-30.00 off that.  And not able to find at a Official GoPro Site.

Untitled.png

Love to see never ending firmware. love to see these issues we all have gopro to put a technician on it and simply email over the  firmware fix person to person.  GoPro matured their camera and they move on. mature is how I say after all firmware made and can no longer advance.  no one in here. you, me, others, and the gopro team. No one knows. why its my take, my opinion  thoughts out loud, if I had the facts I post it. but since I stated matured hang me high for it.    

Not insulted have to agree  GoPro you're here.  You're listening. your say.

ears are open  we the world want to know is there going to be a release and date for  the Hero 6 Black  and a new Interface?

post below

((SMILES))

Nomad

[ New ]

I noticed one of my local shops was still selling the GP6 for full retail 2 weeks ago.

Explorer

[ New ]
Stores haven't stopped selling the older models. If they have them still in stock, of course they will sell them. When I mentioned sell through above, that is what it refers to.

@fishycomics Your use of the word matured wasn't what I was questioning. You used it correctly. My point is, why would, or should, GoPro definitively say yes or no to future updates? You said they "need" to provide this information. No they don't.

Not only do I disagree, I think it would be foolish for them to do so, for the reasons I already stated.

I did hear rumors about a month ago that they were thinking of updating the HERO6 to have the same menu interface, but it's really debatable if that is a smart move as well. For people like me who became accustomed to the HERO5 and HERO6 menu, the HERO7 menu doesn't always feel like an improvement.

However, if they do, they do. Updating is always a choice. Just like it's their choice to offer an update or not. Again, I don't think they will, but it still remains a possibility. Heck, maybe they'll release an update to the HERO2 while their at it!
Adventurer

[ New ]

Well either we all are going to be on the right page  with the latest and greatest, if that is thr option If you kept or moved on.   the bottom line is: 

Are you happy yes great.  No.   I'll leave that blank 

@robindean   yeah I see  aselect few. Costco has it but not as  low as  posted.  Lol

FISH

Nomad

[ New ]

Moved on to the hero 7 black now as I managed to get one at a good price.

Adventurer

[ New ]
Looks like GoPro app has an update and that means the firmware is. Ext
Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:
Looks like GoPro app has an update and that means the firmware is. Ext

cool.

Hiker

[ New ]

Gopro has abandoned all customers who have the Hero6, if before we had abandoned because now that is the Hero7 even more.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Yep hate to Agree  technology moves fast today  some of the old stuff may been better vs the newer but to each their own.   Until I can personally put down theHero 6 or Hero 7 something else comes along like the DJI Osmo pocket.  but that is not a gopro story here.

Explorer

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

something else comes along like the DJI Osmo pocket.  but that is not a gopro story here.

And yet you brought it up anyway, LOL.

Well, since you did:

Osmo Pocket Positive: Gimbal stabilization on small device

Osmo Pocket Negative (compared to HERO7 Black)

1. Gimbal stabilization
    1. Moving parts
      1. Increased risk for damage
        1. optic image stabilizers (OIS) may be easily damageable.
      2. Hard time dealing with high-frequencies due to inherent mechanical limits
      3. Mechanical gimbals may have hard time dealing with a surrounding viscous medium (i.e. water) or in the absence of gravity (Free Falls)
      4. Sea sick bounding up and down when walking
  2. Too Small
    1. Harder to hold
    2. Harder to attach accessories
  3. Poor Durability
    1. No Waterproofing
      1. Not even splash resistant
      2. Not rain resistant
      3. Must be put in case before placing in...your pocket Smiley LOL
      4. Changable/swappable protective lens?
      5. Can't be used underwater without housing
        1. Housing limits user to "flashlight mode" one direction filming
    2. See moving parts above
  4. Limited Resolutions
    1. No 2.7K
    2. No 1440p
    3. No 960p
    4. No 720p
  5. Limited Frames per second
    1. Max 60fps
      1. No Super Slow Motion (120fps not available
      2. No Super Extreme Slow Motion (240fps not available)
  6. No Slow motion at high resolution
    1. No 2.7K/120fps
  7. Small onboard screen
    1. Screen on device cuts off left and right side of filming view
      1. You can't see everything that you are filming
    2. Harder to see
    3. Harder to adjust settings
  8. Must attach phone to change "Pro" settings
    1. Phone must be attached to change basic (DJI is calling Pro) filming settings, i.e., Protune
  9. Increased risk to Phones charging port
    1. Connecting phone without support increases risk of damaging phone charging port
  10. Limit Phone compatibility
    1. Only attaches to iPhone Lightning port or Android USB-C phones
  11. No built in Wi-Fi
    1. Additional cost for accessory for Wi-Fi phone connection
  12. Accessories Accessories Accessories (for basic use)
    1. Scroll wheel $59
    2. Wi-Fi connect 59
    3. Waterproof housing - unknown cost
    4. Specialized selfie pole - unknown cost
    5. Mounting adapter $19
    6. Mic Adapter - Unknown cost
  13. Poor audio 
    1. Only sounds good without any wind, breeze, ambient sound
  14. Limited to Narrow FOV
    1. Not good for action
    2. Not good for vlogging
    3. Not good for scenic shots
    4. No options for Wide, Superwide, Linear, or changing FOV
  15. Poor Auto Focus
    1. Blurry faces
    2. Cannot wear sunglasses for accurate face detect
  16. No highly efficient HEVC
    1. Increased storage utilization
  17. Bulky and inconvienient
    1. Once you start adding phone and acccessories, no longer small or convinient
  18. Bad Dynamic Range
    1. Blown out sky and highlights
    2. Shadows too dark
    3. Poor adaptation to changin environments
  19. No Swappable Battery
    1. Limited time use
    2. Limited product life
  20. No Zoom cpability
Nomad

[ New ]

I can tell you that there is no ZOOM in any Gopro.

Nomad

[ New ]

GoPro is unlikely to do any updates to the Hero6. Partly because they now sell the Hero7 and also because the company is under finacially stress due to low earnings.

Yet again there are strong rumours about a possible sale of the company as the finances are not strong enough to support future product developement. Possible buyers are Canon, Sony and Samsung. These companies are rumored to have looked into GoPros IPO and patents. There is more info on this expected around CES in january.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Lol   lost  intereest after  IOS

Nomad

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

I can tell you that there is no ZOOM in any Gopro.

Actually the hero 7vblack does, from the manual

Screenshot 2018-12-08 at 06.58.38.png

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:

@fishycomics wrote:

something else comes along like the DJI Osmo pocket.  but that is not a gopro story here.

And yet you brought it up anyway, LOL.

Well, since you did:

Osmo Pocket Positive: Gimbal stabilization on small device

Osmo Pocket Negative (compared to HERO7 Black)

1. Gimbal stabilization
    1. Moving parts
      1. Increased risk for damage
        1. optic image stabilizers (OIS) may be easily damageable.
      2. Hard time dealing with high-frequencies due to inherent mechanical limits
      3. Mechanical gimbals may have hard time dealing with a surrounding viscous medium (i.e. water) or in the absence of gravity (Free Falls)
      4. Sea sick bounding up and down when walking
  2. Too Small
    1. Harder to hold
    2. Harder to attach accessories
  3. Poor Durability
    1. No Waterproofing
      1. Not even splash resistant
      2. Not rain resistant
      3. Must be put in case before placing in...your pocket Smiley LOL
      4. Changable/swappable protective lens?
      5. Can't be used underwater without housing
        1. Housing limits user to "flashlight mode" one direction filming
    2. See moving parts above
  4. Limited Resolutions
    1. No 2.7K
    2. No 1440p
    3. No 960p
    4. No 720p
  5. Limited Frames per second
    1. Max 60fps
      1. No Super Slow Motion (120fps not available
      2. No Super Extreme Slow Motion (240fps not available)
  6. No Slow motion at high resolution
    1. No 2.7K/120fps
  7. Small onboard screen
    1. Screen on device cuts off left and right side of filming view
      1. You can't see everything that you are filming
    2. Harder to see
    3. Harder to adjust settings
  8. Must attach phone to change "Pro" settings
    1. Phone must be attached to change basic (DJI is calling Pro) filming settings, i.e., Protune
  9. Increased risk to Phones charging port
    1. Connecting phone without support increases risk of damaging phone charging port
  10. Limit Phone compatibility
    1. Only attaches to iPhone Lightning port or Android USB-C phones
  11. No built in Wi-Fi
    1. Additional cost for accessory for Wi-Fi phone connection
  12. Accessories Accessories Accessories (for basic use)
    1. Scroll wheel $59
    2. Wi-Fi connect 59
    3. Waterproof housing - unknown cost
    4. Specialized selfie pole - unknown cost
    5. Mounting adapter $19
    6. Mic Adapter - Unknown cost
  13. Poor audio 
    1. Only sounds good without any wind, breeze, ambient sound
  14. Limited to Narrow FOV
    1. Not good for action
    2. Not good for vlogging
    3. Not good for scenic shots
    4. No options for Wide, Superwide, Linear, or changing FOV
  15. Poor Auto Focus
    1. Blurry faces
    2. Cannot wear sunglasses for accurate face detect
  16. No highly efficient HEVC
    1. Increased storage utilization
  17. Bulky and inconvienient
    1. Once you start adding phone and acccessories, no longer small or convinient
  18. Bad Dynamic Range
    1. Blown out sky and highlights
    2. Shadows too dark
    3. Poor adaptation to changin environments
  19. No Swappable Battery
    1. Limited time use
    2. Limited product life
  20. No Zoom cpability

MUST have phone and app to activate osmo !!!

Backpacker

[ New ]

if anyone is thinking of buying an Osmo Pocket I suggest they watch Casey's video comparing it a Hero 7. The video quality/dynamic range is shocking, & sound quality is dire 

Nomad

[ New ]

@duanem8 wrote:

if anyone is thinking of buying an Osmo Pocket I suggest they watch Casey's video comparing it a Hero 7. The video quality/dynamic range is shocking, & sound quality is dire 

yes i saw that, it was horendouse. though others were better.

what on earth, why did they decided to put microphone on base for ?

Explorer

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735

There most certainly IS Zoom on GoPro cameras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_zoom

Zoom: a means of producing an enlarged image (as in a camera) - 2018 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

zoom.png

Explorer

[ New ]

@robindean

Sorry, didn't see you already addressed this Smiley Tongue

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:

@robindean

Sorry, didn't see you already addressed this Smiley Tongue

:-)

Explorer

[ New ]
One thing most certainly confirmed when watching reviews of Osmo Pocket is iPhonedo most certainly is in DJI's....pocket. With so many glaring issues he would have roasted GoPro for releasing a device like that. Instead, excitement, praise, and elation. POS reviewer. Putting his disdain for GoPro in perspective you really get a sense of just how good Fusion and the HERO7 Black really are. Try as he might, he couldn't really find much to be negative, but he sure tried.

DJI clearly does one thing right, they spend a lot of money to get positive reviews and to have negative taken down. I did a little test and posted the above negatives on several YouTube review. All of them are now gone, deleted off of the comment section, LOL.
Explorer

[ New ]
Wow, just watched Casey's comparison with GoPro Hero7 Black. I know I'm biased, but IMO, GoPro slayed. Dynamic range on Osmo is absolutely terrible. What good is stabilization if highlights blown out (sky constantly) and subjects too dark (shadows at skate park), not to mention inconsistent and tinny audio. And with that, go back to my list and I'm really sad that people aren't calling out DJI more for these glaring issues. Not because I'm a GoPro fan, but this much hype for a clearly inferior product is just wrong and deceptive. Hopefully people really take a good look before making their buying decisions.
Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
Wow, just watched Casey's comparison with GoPro Hero7 Black. I know I'm biased, but IMO, GoPro slayed. Dynamic range on Osmo is absolutely terrible. What good is stabilization if highlights blown out (sky constantly) and subjects too dark (shadows at skate park), not to mention inconsistent and tinny audio. And with that, go back to my list and I'm really sad that people aren't calling out DJI more for these glaring issues. Not because I'm a GoPro fan, but this much hype for a clearly inferior product is just wrong and deceptive. Hopefully people really take a good look before making their buying decisions.

Yes, and you MUST have a smart phone to activate it and the app, unbelievable !

All the videos on YT are paid promotion by DJI.

When the consumer gets their hands on it, then it will be interesting.

Explorer

[ New ]
Yes, but cognitive dissonance is strong. People hate to be wrong and interestingly enough, the more you show someone that something they believe in is wrong, the more firm they commit to their beliefs. Look at Donald Trump and his followers for a great example of this (apologizes to any Trump supporters).
Nomad

[ New ]

ohh err

Yes :-) 

Explorer

[ New ]
I have a friend who excitingly emailed me to tell me he ordered the Osmo Pocket. He is not technologically inclined whatsoever (he asked me to change his camera settings on his phone once and thought I was a genius for doing it). I didn't say anything negative about him making the purchase and gave him my hopes that he will enjoy it.

Just yesterday he emailed asking if I can help him set it up when it arrives because he just read that he needs to activate with the app first. For some people, this is a huge barrier. Even if the setup is seamless, it makes them nervous and anxious.
Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
I have a friend who excitingly emailed me to tell me he ordered the Osmo Pocket. He is not technologically inclined whatsoever (he asked me to change his camera settings on his phone once and thought I was a genius for doing it). I didn't say anything negative about him making the purchase and gave him my hopes that he will enjoy it.

Just yesterday he emailed asking if I can help him set it up when it arrives because he just read that he needs to activate with the app first. For some people, this is a huge barrier. Even if the setup is seamless, it makes them nervous and anxious.

Makes you wonder what data DJI is taking everytime you connect to the phone ???

Those that have had DJI drones and done some research, data is being sent to multiple servers all the time.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:

not sure if i missed it (just rewatched the video), but he never really gave a verdict on it. With the audio quality like that i can't see how it can be used as a vlogging camera

Explorer

[ New ]
No verdict. Casey doesn't want to lose getting goodies from DJI or face the wrath of the DJI fanboys.
Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 @robindean

Cropping in on the sensor area is not "zoom".

You might have given GoPro the benefit of the doubt if you could perform the digital cropping DURING the actuall recording, but you can't. At least not on any of my GP1 powered Heros. ;-)

Nomad

[ New ]

@robindean - "Those that have had DJI drones and done some research, data is being sent to multiple servers all the time."

GoPro did the same thing during the obligatory log in on their user app. This was used to collect data on which GoPro models the users connected to the app i.e.

Explorer

[ New ]
@agilestoke40735
Zoom - "You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means." I even went as far as to give you definitions. Sigh, hate all you want, you're just wrong. No problem. Good luck shorting GoPro's stock.
Explorer

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@robindean - "Those that have had DJI drones and done some research, data is being sent to multiple servers all the time."

GoPro did the same thing...

Nice whataboutism, LOL.  Those that have DJI drones and in the military know.  US military bans the use of all DJI drones for security purposes. No issues with GoPro cameras.

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15

Zoom during video recording - electronic or optical - means that you can alter the angle of view during the actual recording process.

Please don't present your own definitions or GoPro marketing talk as facts.

Nomad

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

GoPro did the same thing during the obligatory log in on their user app. This was used to collect data on which GoPro models the users connected to the app i.e.

Completly different, DJI are sending data all the time to multiple servers of flight data.

Nomad

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@danielr15

Zoom during video recording - electronic or optical - means that you can alter the angle of view during the actual recording process.

Please don't present your own definitions or GoPro marketing talk as facts.

Yes you can do this with the hero 7, possibly others.

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15

What is your point? That american companies only uses their user collected data for "good purposes" whereas DJI is an evil chinese empire? At least DJI makes money selling drones and cameras. :-p

We shall return to this discussion after GoPro is sold to DJI, Xiaomi, Canon or whatever in january...

Nomad

[ New ]

@robindean - "Zoom during video recording - electronic or optical - means that you can alter the angle of view during the actual recording process. -  Yes you can do this with the hero 7, possibly others."

Show me how.

Nomad

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@danielr15

What is your point? That american companies only uses their user collected data for "good purposes" whereas DJI is an evil chinese empire? At least DJI makes money selling drones and cameras. :-p

We shall return to this discussion after GoPro is sold to DJI, Xiaomi, Canon or whatever in january...

If that were only true - chinese vs american, However the the lack of transparecy from DJI is shocking.