Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

doesn't record the full time

[ New ]

Hi I have HERO7, and recently I realized my gopro doesn't record the whole time I leave it on for recording.

For example, the vedios are cut by 8 mins, 9 mins, 11mins and so on depending on the quality setting. And I've changed the SD card but it's the same.

To try it out, I just let it on for 59mins, I only found 3 files with 2(11mins long) and 1(3mins long).

Why is this happening? Please help me out!

Thank you so much :)

GoPro

Re: doesn't record the full time

[ New ]

Hello, @boldapex4822. What you observe is called chaptering. This automatically happens to videos once a certain file size is reached. Learn more about this through GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information.

Tourist

[ New ]

I understand the video has a limit of length or the size length.

But the problem I'm encountering is that I don't have enough numbers of video clips to make a full video.

Like I explained, I left it for 59mins, I only got 3files which is far below 59mins, meaning not everything was recorded that I've got only some of the video I intended to record.

i do not understand where the other clips are disappearing. I've tried to change the quality of the video and also tried to change the card itself. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @boldapex4822

What SD card are you using?

Are you viewing the files on the camera or on a computer?

Is this observed on a certain recording? Are there other recordings on the SD card?

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

What settings are you using on your camera and what are you recording and where?  Although your files are being chaptered as normal, depending on how your camera is being used, it could be overheating and shutting down.  Can't say for sure without knowing the camera settings and how it's being used.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi thanks

I'm using sandisk extreme and pro.

Seems to be 'extreme' is better when it comes to 'less losing' I would say.

Yes I always transfer the files to the computer.

I'm not sure if I should just reset the whole setting again to try. Is there any setting you would recommend?

I don't need a super quality. I use it to record my training and review afterwards.

Tourist

[ New ]

well mine gets extremely hot after maybe 15-20mins. Do you think it could be a problem?

Because this overheating issue has been there since the beginning that I thought it's normal

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi I have GoPro black 9 and from some time got same problem using GoPro for riding bike so camera for sure is not hot and when I make trip 30 min and pressing record button again for save video it's take 2-3 second longer and after on preview on rear screen is low FPS and video have only 3 minutes few sec. Using same sd 256gb size
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

If you haven't yet, please try running a manual update. See https://gopro.com/en/us/update

You may also check Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures 

Let us know how it goes.
If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to have this checked further.

Thanks!

Ej