Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

camera not recognized by Quik or on PC - Hero Session

I am running Windows 10.

When I connect my camera by USB, it is not recognized as a device by my laptop.  Nor does the Quik app recognize it on the laptop.  I have tried all USB ports on my laptop, multiple cords, rebooting machine and removing SD card from camera.

The USB connection logo is clearly visible in the camera status window, and the laptop makes that little chime that occurs when you plug in a device.

I've no problem downloading videos to my phone.  It's really a pain transferring video first to my phone then manually moving to laptop.

GoPro

Re: camera not recognized by Quik or on PC - Hero Session

Hi @krsturz

Sorry for any troubles caused. I have just tested my HERO Session with Quik for Desktop and did not encounter any errors.

What SD card are you using? Is your camera up to date?

Please go over the steps listed on this article: Camera is Not Recognized on Quik for desktop - Windows

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

Quik on desktop worked flawlessly once I bought a SD card reader:  put SD card in reader, plugged into USB port, Quik launched and I could see/transfer all videos.

That said I'm still puzzled why that doesn't happen when I connect the camera with SD card inserted to the laptop.

Camera software is up to date as far as I can tell.  But if it's not being recognized by the app, how will I ever know?

GoPro

Hi @krsturz

Thank you for getting back to us.

Were you able to try a different port or a different cable?

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

I am having the same issue and shouldn't have to go to the store to buy a sim card reader just to resolve this. Has anyone found a solution? I have a Hero 2018.

GoPro

Hello @krsturz

Try manually updating your camera, even if it may already have the latest firmware. This process will not require your camera to be detected by Quik for desktop. You can follow the instructions below for guide: 

1. Go to the Update page: HERO Session
  2. Under "Other ways to update" click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your serial number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Make sure that your camera is fully charged and that your SD card is formatted prior to the update. Once done, check then if Quik for desktop would already recognize the camera automatically. Let us know how it works out. 

Thanks, 
Marius

GoPro

Hello @elyb5

I agree that you should be able to import your GoPro media to your computer directly via Quik for desktop. Is this a recent issue that you are experiencing? Has your camera been detected by Quik for desktop before?

Have you been able to try out the recommended steps, as well as a manual update on your camera? Although, the manual update would require access to an SD card adapter in order to save the downloaded update files. You can check if you have it as it typically comes with the purchase of an SD card. 

Instructions for manual update are found here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO4-Session

Feel free to post back for any questions or concerns. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

Yes - in my original post I noted that I'd tried all USB ports on my laptop as well as multiple cables. Neither of those worked.