Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

camera changed time lapse video setting

I'm still new to GoPro cameras and I can't figure out what happened.

I've been experimenting with time-lapse videos. The other day I had the camera mounted to my bike, set it for time-lapse video, 1080/Wide/0.5s/16:9. I pressed the button to start recording as I've done before. A few minutes later I pressed the button to stop it because I needed to adjust the camera angle. Then I pressed the button to start again.

When I played back the video, that first video segment came out as expected, but the rest was very strange.

1. The recording didn't start for several minutes
  2. It recorded regular video not time-lapse
  3. Audio was recorded as well
  4. In the MEDIA grid where all recorded videos are listed with their length of time, this video's time says 01:00
  5. The video was recorded in 1 minute segments. The playback screen shows a counter 00:00/01:00 which counts up to a minute
  6. At one minute the video pauses momentarily then continues and the counter starts over.
  7. This happens 6 times until I stopped recording. So the total length is about 6 minutes, but should have been recording for more like 20 minutes.
  8. The DCIM folder on the SD card shows 6 separate .mp4 files

Can anyone explain to me what happened? It's almost as if it was set to do time lapse recording of 60 seconds instead of a single frame. I don't even see any settings that would allow me to make such recordings. I wanted to attach a video showing what happens but the system doesn't allow videos. I can only attach 1 image.

Thanks for the help.

GoPro display 2.JPG
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: camera changed time lapse video setting

Hello @niceridge23320. How did you initiate the recording? Was the camera turned off and you pressed the shutter button to start? If you did it this way and you have the QuikCapture function activated, the camera might have gone through the default QuikCature mode that is set. By default, this is set to regular video. See what mode is set for the default mode on your camera and if the QuikCapture is indeed on. To access this, swipe down on the touch screen and look for the rabbit icon. 

The way the videos are recorded through appears like it was set to looping (which does not work with QuikCapture).  Or, as you mentioned, it could be time lapse set to a longer interval. Time Lapse works with QuikCapture when you press and hold the shutter button instead of pressing it once. 

The video clips will help greatly. You may upload them to YouTube or Google Drive or Dropbox and you may share the link in your reply post. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for your reply. Here is the link to the video clip and some images.

From what I recall, the camera was not off. I had just stopped the recording and after a few moments started it again.

I do have QuikCapture turned off.

Default mode is set to Video.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @niceridge23320

GH files are recordings produced when on Looping mode.

Please see GoPro Camera File Naming Convention for reference.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for that reply. The naming convention say "GH" is also for Single Video and Chaptered Video. But the "AB" seems to indicate looping video.

As I look at the settings I see the Looping Interval is set for 5 mins. That would explain why the previous 15 minutes are missing. So apparently it was looping video.

But the more important question is, how did it get into Looping mode when it was in Time Lapse video mode? All I did was press the shutter button to stop, then pressed again to start. I don't remember doing anything else. I suppose I could have accidentally tapped the screen.

Highlighted
GoPro

It was probably changed accidentally @niceridge23320

Observe your next recordings and make sure you are on the right shooting mode before recording.

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Thanks!
Ej