Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

bug 4k

[ New ]

HI everyone,

Recently i have purchased and recevied my GoPro Hero 7 Black. I very sastisfy it change at my GoPro Session 4.

I could test it, change setting, try new options, recording ...

I noticed when im recording at 4K 60fps, and go to pc to watch my videos, when i watched it, on VLC, i saw some bug.

Video slows down at certain times (llight but very light jerk). It that normal ?. So I thought about several reasons for this problem :

- My PC configuration

Windows 10 x64 / GTX 1070 TI / Intel Core I7 6700 / 16 gb ram 2400mhz / HP 24er and HP w2228h.

- VLC configuration

Last uptade and i change decoding material to video acceleration Direct3D 11. Note : that when I go back to the time of the bug, and I play it several times, it disappears. And when I close VLC  and replay the video, I know when the bug happens. 

- Hypersmooth

I compare same resolution, same framerate, same place with same light (outside garden), soft and choppy shot.  The only setting change is hypersmooth. It was for me the only possible cause, I know this technology has its limits (better in Hero 8 Black). Same type of jolt. 

- Windows 10 problems

I wanted to make edit on editing software, but I couldn't do it. Until I found the solution on the net,  so i install a free HEVC codec on the windows store. Once I edited my video, I converted it to 1920x1080 60 fps, same problem. 

- Region (PAL/NTSC) and video codecs

On this point I am not sure of anything, since I did not test and I think that the region does not pose any problems, it remains then the codec.

• I still have to make a last test, it's to play directly the 4k videos on a TV screen by the micro HDMI.That's what'll tell me if it's a camera glitch.

So here it is, I would like to understand the origin of this problem of very slight jerking and if you also encounter this.

I don't know if it's a defect, or if I'm using the 4k for wrong use. But I think it's a shame, to have such a beautiful quality and not to be able to watch it in good conditions.

Thank to your times ! Smiley heureux

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: bug 4k

[ New ]

Hello, @baz84. You were on the right track in getting the HEVC codec installed. This is because a recording in 4K, 60 fps uses HEVC

You may also explore how the playback is with other programs that can view and edit your GoPro footage. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: bug 4k

[ New ]

Hello, @baz84. You were on the right track in getting the HEVC codec installed. This is because a recording in 4K, 60 fps uses HEVC

You may also explore how the playback is with other programs that can view and edit your GoPro footage.