Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

battery charging

[ New ]

I bought a new battery for my Hero 5 Black. I put it in the camera and plugged it in with a USBC. no red light, and no charge. If I put my original batter back in and plug it in, I get the red light and it charges. Try the new one and same thing. I returned it to the store as defective, and tried another new battery (there in the store). Same thing. Tried my old battery and it charges fine. What's up? Do the new batteries not work on Hero 5 black (despite what the package says)? What are my options? I'm going on a long trip off grid in a couple of days and I could use a spare battery.

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: battery charging

[ New ]

Thanks. I figured out how to get the update and got it done, bought the new battery and it seems to be working. Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @swiftdusk35782. Will you be able to post a photo of the new battery? Also, see if this situation may be related to getting a HERO8 Black battery (the one with a blue cap). If this is the case, below is the expected behavior:

If the previous cameras have not been updated, they will exhibit the following behavior:

• HERO7 Black - Camera will instantly power on when battery is inserted
  • HERO6 Black - Camera will instantly power on when battery is inserted
  • HERO5 Black - Camera will not function
  • HERO (2018) - Camera will not function

Reference: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/HERO8-Black-Battery-Compatibility/ta-p/398667

We'd love get more details about the battery that you got, especially if not a case as described above. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

It does have the blue cap. The box has Hero 5 black listed. I left the battery at the store, but here is a photo of the box showing Hero 5 Black listed.

battery.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Let me add that my software version is 02.60 Does that need an update? Would that enable the battery to work?

Hiker

[ New ]

I ran Quik and under "Camera Firmware" it says "Version Unknown (up to date)"

GoPro

[ New ]

Yes @swiftdusk35782

You would need to update the camera to 2.70 for the new battery to work.

It will be best to complete the update manually.

Please refer to https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero5

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks. I figured out how to get the update and got it done, bought the new battery and it seems to be working. Thanks!

GoPro

[ New ]

Awesome! Glad to know that the spare batteries are now working. Have a great time on your trip, @swiftdusk35782