Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

battery can't be charged unless turned on

I am unable to charge my Hero 6 unless the device is powered up and the charging symbol is displayed on the front LED screen. When it's turned of it doesn't charge at all and even the charging indicator lights won't be on (they sometimes turn on for a quick second and then go off). I hate to keep my GoPro turned on the whole time it needs to charge. Any solutions to this?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: battery can't be charged unless turned on

Hello @fastsand41641

Thank you for the details that you provided. It is odd that the camera behaves this way. Does the battery reach 100% charge though? Try manually updating the camera firmware and see if you can already charge the battery while the camera is off. See instructions below for guide:

1. Go to the HERO6 Black update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Make sure that your camera is fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to updating. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: battery can't be charged unless turned on

Hello @fastsand41641

Thank you for the details that you provided. It is odd that the camera behaves this way. Does the battery reach 100% charge though? Try manually updating the camera firmware and see if you can already charge the battery while the camera is off. See instructions below for guide:

1. Go to the HERO6 Black update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Make sure that your camera is fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to updating. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius