Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

another Sales Tax fraud - Hero8 trade up

the GoPro Support Hub forums have several threads on GoPro overcharging Sales Tax by basing it on the original value of the camera, not the discounted one after the upgrade program. Some legal action was taken by/in some states so you might think GoPro would do better when the Hero8 upgrade program? 

Well, they don't. I bought a new Hero8 through the upgrade program ($100 discount for sending in any old camera) and was charged Sales Tax on the full amount of the Hero8 ($399), not on what I actually paid after the discount ($299). And unlike with the Hero7 upgrade program, this time they didn't even ship the new Hero8 until after they received my trade-in. So I never paid the full price and got a credit/rebate, I was only charged $299 when the new Hero8 was shipped but charged Sales Tax for $399. My invoice clearly shows the $100 was a discount. 

I contacted GoPro and after several weeks they sent me an email telling me they did it correctly and Sales Tax needs to be charged on the original, non-discounted, price. This is not true, at least not here in Texas. Anyone else in the same situation?

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: another Sales Tax fraud - Hero8 trade up

I hear what you're saying but lets look at this in a different way:

You Purchase the GoPro at $399.00 + Tax. GoPro picks up the shipping.  You are fine with that. 100% fine with just that.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Now GoPro says send up in the camera and we'll deduct $100.00 off your BIll. We will pay again the shipping, and again you are fine with that.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Sale price is $399.00 Plus Tax the retail is $459.99 and deduct $100.00 off that (Smiles)

Highlighted
Tourist

it doesn't matter what shipping GoPro paid for. What matters is what they are allowed to charge Sales Tax on. And by Texas law, Sales Tax is to be charged on what the final sales price is, after all discounts. for the Hero8 upgrade program, that price is $299.
Highlighted
Adventurer

So let me ask you this.   TExas has that law, are you  Dealing wit hTexas or ModiusLink in Riverside Ca. and GoPro Corp San Fran Ca. USA.

Highlighted
Adventurer

I see it like this does not matter where you Reside, you get charged your Sales tax, and whatever   your law is.  and that I agree on.  Since its not in Tx you are  maybe paying it the way gopro gets away with (Questioning)?   

Highlighted
GoPro

@agilepike28588, we have a dedicated Tax Team who ensures GoPro charges tax in accordance with local state and government laws. Based on state requirements, GoPro collects tax on the full retail value of the camera you purchased, not the discounted value. 

Should you have further questions, you may reach out to our Support team by phone or live chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.