Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Zoom H6 recorder as external mic to Gopro hero 9

I want to connect Zoom H6 recorder as an external mic to gopro HERO9 black. What kind of adapter do I need for that? Is it even possible? And Is the gopro 9 supporting external mic at all because I see there are many people complaining about the problems with the camera not being compatible with the adapters anymore. Should i return my gopro HERO9 black and exchange it for gopro HERO8?
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Zoom H6 recorder as external mic to Gopro hero 9

An ext. microphone can only be used with the GoPro microphone adapter or the MediaMod suitable for Hero 8 or Hero 9 on the Hero 8/9.
BUT with the current firmware of the Hero 9, neither the adapter nor the MediaMod (which is imho currently not available) is not recognized!
According to GoPro, work is underway to fix this problem and an update should be available on October 22nd, 2020 that will fix this problem.
So if you want to use an external microphone right now, that's currently not possible with the Hero 9.

Highlighted
GoPro

Highlighted
Nomad

So have the release dates of the updates changed ...

The main thing is that there is an update that fixes this problem :)

Highlighted
Sightseer

So what you are saying is that, when the update comes, with the right adapter, zoom H6 recorder and gopro should unquestionably work good together?
I mean, there is no problem that I will have to get a differnt mic cause I can use any mic?

And is there info on which adapter is suitable for gopro hero 9? And do I have to get gopros adapter which is quite expensive for me, or are there some more simple and cheaper adapters that work good aswell and are recognised by gopro.
Highlighted
Nomad

I can't answer what might be. The MediaMod of the Hero 8 supports AUX and MIC in. What the MediaMod of the Hero 9 will be able to do after the firmware update is not in the stars today ...
By the way, ONLY the GoPro Adapter / MediaMod works!

Highlighted
Hiker

@ivanj3250 wrote:
So what you are saying is that, when the update comes, with the right adapter, zoom H6 recorder and gopro should unquestionably work good together?
I mean, there is no problem that I will have to get a differnt mic cause I can use any mic?

And is there info on which adapter is suitable for gopro hero 9? And do I have to get gopros adapter which is quite expensive for me, or are there some more simple and cheaper adapters that work good aswell and are recognised by gopro.

I have the Media Mod for the 9 and it accepts 3.5mm input.

Taking the line out from the Zoom H6 and feeding it into the Media Mod should work. (You may need to fiddle with the options plugin power or line level etc.).

Once the promised firmware that comes out in NOVEMBER, the Gopro promic adapter should also work. (according to their update).

Third party USB-C solutions do NOT work.  Don't waste time or money there.