Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Youtube live stream no longer working

All of a sudden my livestream has stopped working.  No strikes for crazy stuff or copyright issues.  

I'm not sure if they changed their policy on live streaming.  It seems like I'm not alone.  It's a new problem over the last month.  All it says is "waiting on (your youtube account name)"  No video ever shows and the camera says it's "live".

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Youtube live stream no longer working

I have the exact same issue as it's just sitting there Waiting for...... I have tried both the YouTube setup as well as inputting a RTMP Stream URL. I have reset the GoPro with no luck. I have no issues with my account and can use a Desktop/Web Camera without issue, but what's the point as you can't even chain up the GoPro as a WebCam to a PC.

Out of curiosity is your Youtube account over 1000 subscribers?
Highlighted
Hiker

I'm not cool enough to have 1000 subscribers.  Hopefullly that isn't the issue.  

Highlighted
Tourist

My GoPro support phone experience was less than helpful and provided zero information that helped and I still have the same problem. Additionally, I was asked to test live stream to FaceBook. I don't use FaceBook. How about someone at GroPro actually test the steps they wanted me to follow below:

Stream directly to YouTube using the GoPro app and HERO7 Black.

Heads Up: You will need to enable your YouTube channel for live streaming. This can take up to 24 hours to activate. (Done first Live Stream was Feb 23)
Open the GoPro app and slide over to Live from preview mode.
Tap the icon at the bottom right to change your platform and select YouTube if it's not already selected.

Tap Set Up Live.
Connect your YouTube account and Allow permissions.
Connect to a Wi-Fi network or your personal hotspot.
Heads Up: Your camera must be connected to a Wi-Fi network or a personal hotspot in order to stream.
Choose your sharing settings (Unlisted or Public). I'm choosing Unlisted to test
Give your stream a title and a short description (I'm using what is already defaulted.
Choose your location. ????????? (I don't have a location option)
Choose your preferred resolution (480 or 720). 720
Choose your save settings (you can save a high-res version of your stream to your SD card). No not saving anything
Tap Go Live - Done

App says I'm Live and GoPro has the red Live banner and YouTube has the newly created stream listed in the Live Events but has no video feed and is simply waiting. You can navigate to the YouTube stream from the mobile app that says it's live but again states waiting and has nothing.

This is a problem.

Currently using GoPro Hero 7 Black firmware 1.70 with IOS 12.2 on a Iphone 7 plus using the latest Gopro app.
Highlighted
Hiker

I don't do facebook and never will.   

That is the exact same thing that is happening to me.  The only reason I bought the gopro7 was to live stream.  I tried periscope first with no luck and then found out that the hero 7 works with youtube so i bought it.  Beginning to feel the bait and switch.

support via phone for gopro is about as bad as it comes.  buy the camera and see you later.  

Reminds me of how all the technology didn't talk to each other back in 1998-2000 period.    

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the details that you provided, @nicebluff24723. By any chance, have you been able to take snapshots of what is seen on the YouTube feed and on the app when you did your test?

We ran sample tests [HERO7 Black v1.7, iPhone8 on iOS 12.2, GoPro App v5.2 (2961)]. We are not able to see the feed on YouTube as well. 

We have informed the team already and we are currently doing further tests. We will keep you posted. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Once you get all the steps completed to live stream it just says "waiting on (your youtube account name"  The camera says it's live and counting the time it's running.  The stream strength is perfect.  The stream just doesn't show on youtube.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

@ragan1, we just recently received an update that Youtube has newly made a change to mobile livestreaming requirements. In order to stream while mobile (through the Youtube App natively or via the GoPro) you must have 1000 subscribers. Info can be found here https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853834?hl=en.