Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

XC I vs XC II and UHS-I vs UHS-II?

[ New ]

Hello, I have another question regarding the SD cards. What are the differences between XC I and XC II specifications and between UHS-I and UHS-II, and which ones for Hero8 Black? Especially which one for writing at 100Mo/s?

Thabks for your help?

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: XC I vs XC II and UHS-I vs UHS-II?

[ New ]
sorry, speed given on cards tend to be the MAXIMUM READ SPEED and not the consistent write speed, which is slower. Even cards that give a write speed that look fast enough might not be because that speed cannot be achieved consistently.

the V numbers were started to show cards that are suitable for video recording getting a certain minimum sustainable write speed - V30 30mB/s, V60 60 MB/s or V90 for 90MB/s.

Those are megabytes per second so the Heo 8s nitrate of 100mb/s needs to be divided by 8 to get the byte rate which is 12.5 megabytes per second- so a V30 card should easily sustain those speeds.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]
its 100mb/s I.e. megabits rather than megabites - I use 128gb v30 cards
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for your answer, however I al not sure I got it. Do you mean that the XC I and UHS-I refer to 100 Mb/s in writing and the XC II and UHD-II to 90 Mb/s?
Thanks again!
Hiker

[ New ]
sorry, speed given on cards tend to be the MAXIMUM READ SPEED and not the consistent write speed, which is slower. Even cards that give a write speed that look fast enough might not be because that speed cannot be achieved consistently.

the V numbers were started to show cards that are suitable for video recording getting a certain minimum sustainable write speed - V30 30mB/s, V60 60 MB/s or V90 for 90MB/s.

Those are megabytes per second so the Heo 8s nitrate of 100mb/s needs to be divided by 8 to get the byte rate which is 12.5 megabytes per second- so a V30 card should easily sustain those speeds.
Nomad

[ New ]

Extreme Pro 128GB

extreme pro 128.JPG

Extreme Pro 64GB

extreme pro 64.JPG

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks to both of you for your explanations. Indeed, I missed the division by 8. Now I fully understand why the V30 is optimal. The XC I is announced for 90 in writing and the XC II for 100, but much more expensive. Thanks to your explanations, I will stay with the XC I.

Have a nice day!